News & Events
Academy Award® Nominees
January 31st, 2006
Nominations for the 78th Annual Academy Awards® were announced today by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Sid Ganis and Oscar®-winner Mira Sorvino.
Ganis and Sorvino, who won her Academy Award in 1995 for her supporting role in "Mighty Aphrodite," announced ten of the 24 categories live at a 5:30 a.m. news conference attended by over 430 international media.
Academy members selected the nominees in their respective branches, with the exception of the Animated Feature and Foreign Language Film categories, where nominations were selected by vote of screening committees. All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees. Ballots were mailed to 5,856 members in late December and were returned directly to PricewaterhouseCoopers, the international accounting firm, for tabulation.
Official screenings of all pictures with a nomination will begin this weekend for members at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Screenings in some categories also will be held in the Academy's Linwood Dunn Theater in Hollywood and in London, New York and San Francisco.
The Academy's entire active and life membership is eligible to select the winners in all categories, although in five of them — the two short film, the two documentary and the foreign language film categories — members can vote only after attesting they have seen all of the nominated films in those categories.
Academy Awards® for outstanding film achievements of 2005 will be presented on Sunday, March 5, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland® and televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5 p.m. PST / 8 p.m. EST.
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
78th Annual Academy Awards Nominations
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Best Documentary, Features
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Achievement in Directing
Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Best Achievement in Cinematography
Best Achievement in Editing
Best Achievement in Art Direction
Best Achievement in Costume Design
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
- Hustle & Flow - Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman, Paul Beauregard ("It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp")
- Crash - Michael Becker, Kathleen York ("In the Deep")
- Transamerica - Dolly Parton ("Travelin' Thru")
Best Achievement in Makeup
Best Achievement in Sound
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Terry Porter, Dean A. Zupancic, Tony Johnson
- King Kong - Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges, Hammond Peek
- Memoirs of a Geisha - Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Rick Kline, John Pritchett
- Walk the Line - Paul Massey, Doug Hemphill, Peter F. Kurland
- War of the Worlds - Andy Nelson, Anna Behlmer, Ron Judkins
Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Best Achievement in Visual Effects
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Dean Wright, Bill Westenhofer, Jim Berney, Scott Farrar
- King Kong - Joe Letteri, Brian Van't Hul, Christian Rivers, Richard Taylor
- War of the Worlds - Pablo Helman, Dennis Muren, Randy Dutra, Daniel Sudick
Best Documentary, Short Subjects
- God Sleeps in Rwanda - Kimberlee Acquaro, Stacy Sherman
- A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin - Corinne Marrinan, Eric Simonson
- The Life of Kevin Carter - Dan Krauss
- The Mushroom Club - Steven Okazaki
Best Short Film, Animated
- Badgered - Sharon Colman
- The Moon and the Son - John Canemaker, Peggy Stern
- The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello - Anthony Lucas
- 9 - Shane Acker
- One Man Band- Mark Andrews, Andrew Jimenez
Best Short Film, Live Action
- Ausreißer (The Runaway) - Ulrike Grote
- Cashback - Sean Ellis, Lene Bausager
- The Last Farm (Síðasti bærinn í dalnum) - Rúnar Rúnarsson, Þórir Snær Sigurjónsson
- Our Time Is Up - Rob Pearlstein, Pia Clemente
- Six Shooter - Martin McDonagh
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2013, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.