Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Arrival 
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in 3D 
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The IMAX 2D Experience 
- Fences 
- Hacksaw Ridge 
- The Jungle Book 
- The Jungle Book: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- The Jungle Book in 3D 
- La La Land 
- La La Land: The IMAX 2D Experience
- Manchester by the Sea 
- Moonlight 
- O.J.: Made in America 
- Piper 
- The Salesman
- Suicide Squad 
- Suicide Squad: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- Suicide Squad in 3D 
- Suicide Squad: The IMAX 2D Experience 
- The White Helmets 
- Zootopia 
- Zootopia: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- Zootopia in 3D 
- Andalusia, AL: Clark Theatres - Andalusia Cinema Now Open [4/14]
- New York, NY: Quad Cinema Reopens After Renovation Project [4/14]
- Laramie, WY: Studio City UW + ARQ Opening on April 28, 2017 [4/13]
- Mobile, AL: Crescent Theater to Close [4/11]
- Dallas, OR: Motor Vu Drive-In Not Reopening for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Stanton, KY: Mountain View Drive-In Will Not Reopen for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Arlington, TX: Cinemark at Former Six Flags Mall Closes [4/10]
- Shakopee, MN: Grand Opening of Marcus Southbridge Crossing Cinema Planned for April 13, 2017 [4/8]
- Select AMC and Carmike Locations Transferred to New Vision Theatres [4/7]
- Arvada, CO: Landmark Olde Town Stadium 14 Sold [4/6]
The 89th annual Academy Awards ceremony was held on Sunday, February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood. It was hosted by comedian, talk show host, and actor Jimmy Kimmel.
As usual, the ceremony was longer than any of the nominated movies (save for the Documentary Feature winner, which clocked in at over seven hours), with the final credits rolling after three hours and forty five minutes. The event had a twist ending, however, as Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway (stars of Bonnie and Clyde, which opened 50 years ago) announced that the winner of the Best Picture Oscar was La La Land, but the acceptance speeches were interrupted by the news that the actual winner was Moonlight.
Apparently, a duplicate envelope was opened which listed Emma Stone's Best Actress award for La La Land, and Dunaway read off her movie's title as the winner of Best Picture. This high-profile gaffe will be embarrassing for the Academy and for Price Waterhouse Coopers, who issued an apology for the problem. While the media and social media is going to be all stirred up about it for a while, in the grand scheme of things, the mistake was corrected quickly and everyone involved, including those from La La Land, handled it gracefully on live television.
While the most memorable elements of Kimmel's part of the show might have been the theater candy air drops and parading people from a tour bus through the front row, there were some good speeches by the winners, and the performance by Auli'i Cravalho of a song from Moana, which was nominated for best animated feature film, was the highlight (sorry Justin Timberlake and John Legend).
Below is a list of all the winning movies, along with the awards each received:
|Academy Award Winners|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||Costume Design|
|Fences||Supporting Actress (Viola Davis)|
|Hacksaw Ridge||Sound Mixing, Film Editing|
|The Jungle Book||Visual Effects|
|La La Land||Production Design, Cinematography, Original Score, Director (Damien Chazelle), Actress (Emma Stone), Original Song: "City of Stars"|
|Manchester by the Sea||Original Screenplay, Actor (Casey Affleck)|
|Moonlight||Supporting Actor (Mahershala Ali), Adapted Screenplay, Best Picture|
|O.J.: Made in America||Documentary Feature|
|The Salesman||Foreign Language Film|
|Sing||Short Film (Live Action)|
|Suicide Squad||Makeup & Hairstyling|
|The White Helmets||Documentary Short Subject|
|Zootopia||Animated Feature Film|
Take a look at the full list of nominees in our previous Journal article titled 2017 Academy Award Nominations Announced.
You can catch some of the winning and nominated movies still playing in some theaters, so check out the listing above or the Academy Award® Winners and Nominees page in Now Showing for a complete run-down of those that are still playing.
Many of the movies are also available on home video, or will be coming out in the next few weeks. Check out the following links to see what's available in your desired format:
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
I think it suck when "La la Land" was declared the winner and because someone was sleeping on the job, someone came out and announce that 'Moonlight" was the real. I love both movies, but I didn't like the outcome. I got a suggestion, how about the Academy declare both movies a winner. make it a tie. When some one came out and declare "Moonlight " the winner, the cast of "La La Land" was ,kick off the stage. they should stay on stage as a force of unity. But what I saw last Sunday night really saddens me.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.