Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Kalamazoo
- Scranton, PA: Iron Horse Movie Bistro Opening April 28, 2017 [4/25]
- Andalusia, AL: Clark Theatres - Andalusia Cinema Now Open [4/14]
- New York, NY: Quad Cinema Reopens After Renovation Project [4/14]
- Laramie, WY: Studio City UW + ARQ Opening on April 28, 2017 [4/13]
- Mobile, AL: Crescent Theater to Close [4/11]
- Dallas, OR: Motor Vu Drive-In Not Reopening for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Stanton, KY: Mountain View Drive-In Will Not Reopen for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Arlington, TX: Cinemark at Former Six Flags Mall Closes [4/10]
- Shakopee, MN: Grand Opening of Marcus Southbridge Crossing Cinema Planned for April 13, 2017 [4/8]
- Select AMC and Carmike Locations Transferred to New Vision Theatres [4/7]
The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Kalamazoo in Kalamazoo, Michigan will close April 3, 2017, according to a message posted on the theater's Facebook page recently:
Dear Alamo Kalamazoo Friends and Followers:
We are sorry to announce that we are leaving the Kalamazoo theater, effective April 3rd. We will remain open until that time. We want to thank everyone who has visited this theater over the years and we hope you will continue to support cinema long after our departure.
All gift cards and advance tickets will be honored through April 3rd. If you have purchased an Alamo Drafthouse Cinema gift card and would like a refund, please visit the box office.
We will pass along any further information as soon as we receive it.
Thank you, Kalamazoo
A follow-up message from the theater says that the building will have a new theater operator after Alamo Drafthouse leaves.
Petition Created to "Save the Alamo"
A petition to keep the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema from leaving has been created by Elanor Riley from Portage, Michigan (which is just south of Kalamazoo). The page states her case for "saving the Alamo":
Alamo Drafthouse is a unique movie-going experience and Kalamazoo is lucky enough to have one of their few locations. The building owner, EPR Properties is kicking them out! Save the Alamo!
Alamo Drafthouse's "no talking policy" makes going to the movies fun for people who enjoy the movies, and not listening to people talking and interrupting. No other theater in this area offers that. They also have themed menus for special releases and who doesn't want to enjoy a delicious locally brewed beer with their movie?
Alamo not only shows movies, but provides special events and unique artfully crafted experiences for their patrons (sing alongs, quote-alongs, parties, etc.)
Losing this unique venue will be a detriment to the Kalamazoo downtown area, and we will lose a feature that draws tourists to our city as well.
Save the Alamo! Tell EPR properties that we want Alamo to stay, and not another "generic" movie theatre chain!
As of today (February 6, 2017), the petition had nearly 5,100 supporters.
Theater Opened in 2013
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema opened the theater in November 2013, taking the place of the Rave Motion Pictures Cityplace 14, which closed unexpectedly in November 2012. If you have a gift certificate/gift card for the theater, don't forget to use it or trade it in before April 3rd!
Thanks to reader Ron H. for passing this news to us!
Related News Articles
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Kzoo closing in April -- WoodTV 8 [Feb 1, 2017]
- Alamo will close Kalamazoo theater -- Battle Creek Enquirer [Feb 1, 2017]
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema leaving Kalamazoo after 3 years -- WWMT [Feb 1, 2017]
- 109 will lose jobs as Alamo Drafthouse Cinema closes; patrons saddened -- mlive.com [Feb 2, 2017]
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
I was very sad to hear of the closing of the Alamo Drafthouse in Kalamazoo. I had grown to love the movie theater. i even sign that petition drive to save the theater. I signed that petition. some of the independent movies I review for The Big Screen Cinema guide I saw right in the movie theater. Two main things that i can remember, 1) the appearance of Illeana Douglas to promote her book and a showing of "Ghostworld." I ask a question or two. Me and her still communicate though Twitter. 2) I attend a screening of "Pitch Perfect," I know I saw the movie a few years back and i didn't like. the reason why I attended to obtain Anna Kendrick's book "Scrappy Little Nobody." I'm still reading the book. I want to ask Anna a question, but the connection between The Drafthouse and Kendrick didn't come though. I miss my Anna Kendrick moment. In addition, I will miss the bacon cheeseburger and fires and pizza. I feel a strong connection to the Drafthouse and that I will miss it very much. Even if a new movuie chain takes over, it won't be the same. I was hoping that more movie stars and filmmakers will appear, but that is gone with all hopes of saving the movie theater.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.