Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- See the First Cast Photo for "Han Solo: A Star Wars Story" [2/22]
- "First Look" Fan Event on February 28, 2017 for "Ghost in the Shell" at Select IMAX Theaters [2/16]
- Marcus Adds More Wehrenberg Locations to its Best Picture Festival [2/14]
- Watch All the Best Picture Nominees at AMC's Best Picture Showcase [1/26]
- See the Best Picture Nominees at Marcus Theatres' 2017 Best Picture Festival [1/26]
- Watch Best Picture Nominated Movies at Regal Cinemas Locations for One Price [1/26]
- Disney Classics Part of "The Enchanted Tales" Series at Marcus Theatres [1/26]
- $5 Tuesday Promotion Comes to Wehrenberg Theatres [1/16]
- LucasFilm and Disney Will Not Recreate Carrie Fisher's Likeness for "Star Wars: Episode IX" [1/15]
- A Rundown of the Reshoots and Work Done on "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" [1/15]
The theater opened December 3, 1915 and has been operated by Landmark Theatres since 1989 (the company also operates the historic Landmark Oriental Theatre nearby). Originally a single-screen theater, it was twinned in 1990, resulting in two smallish screens in narrow rooms. Our last visit in May 2014 for a showing of Fed Up was enjoyable. We had a quick lunch at a nearby restaurant beforehand, and then visited the Boswell Book Company bookstore nearby, proving that the moviegoing experience isn't all about just the movie.
The theater tends to show more arthouse fare than mainstream movies. They are currently showing Spotlight and Trumbo, both of which are showing on less than 1,000 screens nationwide, but are getting good reviews from critics (view showtimes).
If you have an opportunity, stop in and see a movie at the Downer Theatre. It's a pleasant change of pace from the multiplex!
For more photos of the Landmark Downer Theatre, please visit the Photo Gallery page.
Related News Articles
- Downer Theatre to mark 100th birthday with classic 'Caligari' -- JSOnline [Nov 30, 2015]
- Urban spelunking: Downer Theatre turns 100 -- OnMilwaukee.com [Dec 3, 2015]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.