Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Miami, FL: CMX - Brickell City Centre Now Open [4/26]
- Riverhead, NY: Movie Theater Proposed for Riverhead Plaza [4/26]
- Scranton, PA: Iron Horse Movie Bistro Opening April 28, 2017 [4/25]
- Andalusia, AL: Clark Theatres - Andalusia Cinema Now Open [4/14]
- New York, NY: Quad Cinema Reopens After Renovation Project [4/14]
- Laramie, WY: Studio City UW + ARQ Opening on April 28, 2017 [4/13]
- Mobile, AL: Crescent Theater to Close [4/11]
- Dallas, OR: Motor Vu Drive-In Not Reopening for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Stanton, KY: Mountain View Drive-In Will Not Reopen for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Arlington, TX: Cinemark at Former Six Flags Mall Closes [4/10]
The Mountain View Drive-In in Stanton, Kentucky will not reopen for the 2017 season, according to a report from one of our readers. The theater's official web site is no longer functional, and their Facebook page has been removed as well. We found an cached copy of the theater's Facebook page, and the following message was posted on March 5, 2017:
I have talked with David Baker on March 4th to ask if the drive in will be opening this year. He informed me that it will not be open this year. He is so sorry to see it not open but just there was just not enough interest in it to keep it going. He wanted you all to know he appreciates your for years of coming out and being a part if this business.
The theater apparently was on the ropes in 2015, when an article published in the Clay City Times (see below) mentioned that it may not open for the 2016 season due to the costs of converting to Digital Cinema Projection systems and challenges from Netflix, Redbox, and other forms of entertainment. The drive-in was dealt another blow last summer when a storm ripped the roof off the building that contained the concession stand and projection equipment. They did continue to show movies, as the cached Facebook page shows that they were showing movies in August, and their final message of the season mentioned that they were looking forward to 2017.
According to the Clay City Times article, the Mountain View Drive-In opened in 1956. A second screen was added in 1980.
Fortunately for moviegoers looking for watching movies under the stars, the Judy Drive-In which is about 20 miles away in Mount Sterling will be showing movies this year! Two other drive-ins are also located within 50 miles of Stanton, so it may take a bit longer to get there, but options do exist.
Related News Articles
- Iconic landmark, the Mountain View Drive-In, set for curtain call -- Clay City Times [May 7, 2015]
- Drive-In Theater Damaged In Powell County Storms -- LEX18 [Jul 15, 2016]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.