Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- New Ways to See and Share Your Reader Reviews [1/12]
- New Navigation with Dropdown Menus [10/21]
- Photo Gallery Upgrades - Larger Photos, Arrow Key Navigation [4/27]
- "Share Links" Added for Theaters to Make Facebook / Social Media Links Easier [6/9]
- The BigScreen Cinema Guide is Now Smartphone-Friendly! [4/29]
- Theaters in Movie Showtimes Now Sorted by Distance or by Theater Name [2/19]
- Theater Showtimes Now Sorted by Release Date by Default, New Date Groups Added [1/30]
- Theater Listings and Movie Showtimes Now Support Geolocation [1/30]
- Box Office Reports Added for Each Movie [1/7]
- "Now Showing" Enhanced with Sticky Options, Faster Speed [5/27]
We're happy to announce that theaters in movie showtimes now can be sorted by distance as well as by name!
The list of theaters shown on a movie's Showtimes page has always been sorted by the theater's name. If you know the name of the theater you're interested in, that works well, but what if you just want to find the closest movie theater quickly?
You'll see the new sort options in the upper right corner of the showtimes table, as illustrated below:
This new sort option is now the default, but you can select either sort option at any time, and that setting will be used for the duration of your visit to the site.
When you select to sort the results by theater distance from your location, the distance for each theater will be displayed in the left-most column of the showtimes. This will make it quite easy to find the closest movie theater playing that movie.
When we added geolocation to the list of nearby theaters in The Marquee last month, we used the example of a reader visiting the Washington Square Arch in New York City wanting to see a movie. Using that new feature, we made it easy to find a list of nearby theaters so that our loyal reader could find the closest one and see what movies were playing there. Now, you can choose the movie first, and then see which theater is closest that's playing it.
For example, let's look for showtimes for McFarland, USA, which is a new release. Using the Washington Square Arch as our current location, here is the showtimes page for that movie, with the theaters playing it, sorted by distance. We see in this listing that the Regal Union Square Stadium 14 is actually the closest theater, whereas sorting the list by name would have seen that theater in position #12.
We hope that this new feature will be useful, especially for those in areas that have a tighter concentration of movie theaters nearby.
Give it a try and let us know what you think in the Comments section below or via the Feedback Form!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.