Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Blackstone Valley 14: Cinema de Lux
Add Your Comments
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts Palo Alto Square to Close in August 2016 [7/25]
- Variety: "The Divergent Series: Allegiant" to Skip Theaters, Launch as a TV Movie and Spinoff Series [7/21]
- Falmouth, ME: Flagship Premium Cinemas Now Open [7/20]
- AMC Theatres to Acquire Odeon & UCI Cinemas Group, the Largest Theater Chain in Europe [7/13]
- Westbrook, ME: Prides Corner Drive-In Not Yet Open for 2016, Future is Uncertain [7/13]
- Menomonee Falls, WI: Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas Getting Take Five and Zaffiro's [6/30]
- Grand Junction, CO: Carmike 7 Closed [6/24]
- Lake Charles, LA: Cinemark Movie Bistro Lake Charles Holds Grand Opening [6/23]
Cocktails are just one facet of Redstone's meta-strategy to transform moviegoing into what she calls "premium" entertainment. She has also dreamed up "chocolate bahs," screenside waiter service, and high-end food. She's already showing live broadcasts of baseball games - make that Red Sawx games - with kids walking up and down the aisles hawking peanuts. Meanwhile, other operators are renting out theaters to FORTUNE 500 companies for meetings or even to churches for religious services. It's all part of a mad scramble by theater owners to keep their venues relevant (and full) in our increasingly digital age. "It's an interesting time to be in the movie theater business," says CEO Steve Marcus of Marcus Theatres, a 500-theater chain out of Milwaukee. "But I don't sleep as well as I used to."The Cinema de Lux theaters feature amenities that are still rare in the industry. "Director's Halls" feature leather rocking recliner seats, reserved seating, and other specialized services (at a small upgrade in the ticket cost). The following quote summarizes the challenge facing all movie theaters:
"We are trying our hardest to get people out of the house to see a movie," Redstone says. "We simply must give people an experience they can't get elsewhere."From our perspective, more theaters need to embrace this simple motto. If theater management were to examine each of their locations honestly with this motto as a measuring stick, I think we would see more improvements to the moviegoing experience and less mediocrity. National Amusements should be applauded for their efforts. While I have never had the chance to attend one of their theaters, it's nice to see that steps are being taken to reinvent the moviegoing experience rather than maintain status quo.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.