Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Blackstone Valley 14: Cinema de Lux
Add Your Comments
- "The Interview" Release Scrapped [12/17]
- Des Moines, IA: Flix Brewhouse to Open in Merle Hay Mall December 17, 2014 [12/16]
- Des Moines, IA: Merle Hay Mall Cinema Closes, Flix Brewhouse to Open in Mall on Wednesday [12/16]
- Rocklin, CA: Studio Movie Grill Opening Soon [12/12]
- Baldwin, NY: Bow Tie Grand Avenue Cinemas Closed [12/11]
- Next James Bond Movie Has a Title: "Spectre" - Look at the Poster, the Car, see the Cast List, and watch the Announcement! [12/4]
- Carlsbad, CA: Moviemax Closes, Regal Carlsbad 12 Set to Open December 11, 2014 [12/3]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Theatres Takes Over Former Regal Glen 10 Location [11/18]
- Hornell, NY: Movie Theater to Reopen in December [11/18]
- West Valley City, UT: Carmike Ritz 15 - Hollywood Connection Closed [11/17]
Cocktails are just one facet of Redstone's meta-strategy to transform moviegoing into what she calls "premium" entertainment. She has also dreamed up "chocolate bahs," screenside waiter service, and high-end food. She's already showing live broadcasts of baseball games - make that Red Sawx games - with kids walking up and down the aisles hawking peanuts. Meanwhile, other operators are renting out theaters to FORTUNE 500 companies for meetings or even to churches for religious services. It's all part of a mad scramble by theater owners to keep their venues relevant (and full) in our increasingly digital age. "It's an interesting time to be in the movie theater business," says CEO Steve Marcus of Marcus Theatres, a 500-theater chain out of Milwaukee. "But I don't sleep as well as I used to."The Cinema de Lux theaters feature amenities that are still rare in the industry. "Director's Halls" feature leather rocking recliner seats, reserved seating, and other specialized services (at a small upgrade in the ticket cost). The following quote summarizes the challenge facing all movie theaters:
"We are trying our hardest to get people out of the house to see a movie," Redstone says. "We simply must give people an experience they can't get elsewhere."From our perspective, more theaters need to embrace this simple motto. If theater management were to examine each of their locations honestly with this motto as a measuring stick, I think we would see more improvements to the moviegoing experience and less mediocrity. National Amusements should be applauded for their efforts. While I have never had the chance to attend one of their theaters, it's nice to see that steps are being taken to reinvent the moviegoing experience rather than maintain status quo.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.