Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- See the Teaser Trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in an IMAX Theater on April 20th [4/16]
- Dates Announced for 2016 Academy Awards and Nominations Announcement [4/14]
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
- Watch the Trailer for the Short "Frozen Fever" That Will Be Shown Before "Cinderella" [2/26]
- See "Interstellar: The IMAX Experience" with 12 Minutes of Additional Footage at Select AMC Locations on February 21, 2015 [2/19]
- Neill Blomkamp Posts About Upcoming "Alien" Project [2/19]
- Buy One Ticket for "Black or White" Get One Free with This Offer - 2/13/15 - 2/19/15 [2/13]
- Spider-Man to Appear in Marvel Cinematic Universe, Next Spider-Man Movie Gets Release Date [2/10]
- South Miami, FL: See an Advanced Screening of "Focus" at AMC Sunset Place 24 on Feb 4, 2015 [2/3]
- National Amusements Celebrates National Popcorn Day with Free Popcorn [1/16]
I just finished adding some information for the upcoming romantic comedy Made of Honor, starring Patrick Dempsey and Michelle Monaghan, which is about two people who are friends but nothing more, until she gets engaged and asks him to be her Maid of Honor. Only then does he realize that he's really in love with her and decides to break up the wedding any way possible.
This seems very familiar to the storyline in My Best Friend's Wedding with Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney from 1997. The roles were switched, with Julia Roberts thrown into the Maid of Honor position when she finds she is really in love with her best friend. That movie ranks as one of my all-time favorite movies, and one of the best romantic comedies ever made.
Which is why it's hard for me to understand what this new movie is going to bring to the table that's fresh and will improve upon the formula done so well in the preceding movie. The movie trailer does show some new elements, such as Dempsey trying to figure out how to do the feminine things like throwing a bridal shower and helping the bride pick out an outfit for the wedding night, but the general theme is the same.
Is it possible that the studio thinks that no one will remember the Julia Roberts movie? Maybe their target audience doesn't realize that there was life before Scrubs and Dr. McDreamy, or whatever he was called on that show. Maybe it's just easier to re-hash old stories. Or, maybe they've come up with a fun twist on the same theme that will be a complement to the earlier movie instead of a blatant ripoff.
We'll have to wait until May 2nd to find out!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.