Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Marcus Twin Creek Cinema
- Marcus East Park Cinema
- Marcus Edgewood Cinema
- Marcus Lincoln Grand Cinema
- Marcus South Pointe Cinema
- Cinema Center
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Omaha
- Marcus Village Pointe Cinema
- Q-Cinema 9
Add Your Comments
- Warren, MI: MJR Universal Grand Cinema 16 Expected to Open April 7, 2017 [3/22]
- Gibsonton, FL: Goodrich Riverview 14 GDX Now Open [3/21]
- Hilliard, OH: Movie Tavern - Mill Run Closing April 9, 2017 [3/10]
- Fernandina Beach, FL: B & B Theaters Amelia Island 7 Opens in Former Carmike Island 7 Space [3/10]
- Chicago, IL: Chatham 14 Theaters Becomes Studio Movie Grill - Chatham [3/8]
- Fallston, MD: Fallston Movies Opens March 9, 2017 [3/8]
- Omaha, NE: Dundee Theatre Staging a Comeback [3/7]
- Omaha, NE: Marcus Midtown Cinema Closing? [3/7]
- Doral, FL: Cobb CinéBistro at CityPlace Doral to Open March 17, 2017 [3/7]
- Robert Osborne, Beloved Host of Turner Classic Movies, Dies at 84 [3/6]
| The standard Marcus marquee might be coming to a Nebraska theater near you.|
Marcus Theatres Corporation announced yesterday that they will be acquiring "selected assets" of the Douglas Theatre Company chain, which is based in Lincoln, Nebraska. The transaction is worth approximately $40.5 million in cash (that's a lot of popcorn!).
As part of the deal, seven Douglas Theatres locations in Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska will be acquired and operated by Marcus. Douglas Theatres is keeping the Cinema Center Theatre in Omaha for a period of time, and will close the Cinema 9 in Omaha. According to the Douglas Theatres Company web site, the Cinema Center was the company's first indoor theater when it opened in 1967.
Marcus has also agreed to purchase an additional site for a new theater in La Vista, Nebraska, and has an option to purchase an undeveloped site in North Lincoln.
The Douglas locations being acquired by Marcus Theatres are:
- 20 Grand
- Village Pointe
- Twin Creek (Bellevue)
- East Park
Marcus Theatres will maintain its spot as the seventh largest movie theater chain in the U.S., operating 678 screens in seven states at 56 locations. The deal is expected to be completed in early April.
Stephen H. Marcus, chairman and chief executive officer of The Marcus Corporation said that following about the deal:
"The purchase of the Douglas Theatres locations is a synergistic addition to our circuit. Our two companies share a similar history, are deeply rooted in the values of the Midwest and have the same focus on guest service and quality. Douglas Theatres' high quality facilities and excellent locations are comparable to Marcus Theatres in our current six-state region, making this a great fit for our company. Douglas Theatres has been an excellent theatre operator for over 50 years and we intend to continue enhancing the outstanding movie-going experience for which Douglas is well known,"
This acquisition follows the purchase last year by Marcus of eleven Cinema Entertainment Corporation (CEC) locations. If you have a theater chain with between 8 and 15 locations and you're looking to sell next Spring, I suggest putting the executives at The Marcus Corporation on your Christmas card list!
Source: Marcus Corporation Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.