Remove ads with our VIP Service
- American Gangster 
- Doomsday 
- End of Days 
- The 40 Year Old Virgin 
- Hellboy II: The Golden Army 
- The Incredible Hulk 
- Knocked Up 
- Land of the Dead 
- Mamma Mia! 
- Miami Vice 
- The Mummy 
- The Mummy Returns 
- The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor 
- The Scorpion King 
- Wanted 
Add Your Comments
- High-Def Digest Goes Hands-On with a Pioneer Dolby Atmos Sound System [9/30]
- Integra Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Onkyo Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Denon Announces New X-Series Network A/V Receivers, Dolby Atmos Support [7/24]
- Dolby Publishes More Information About Home Version of Dolby Atmos [6/28]
- Yamaha Elevates Premium AVENTAGE AV Receivers with Next Gen Features Including Dolby Atmos® [6/25]
- Onkyo Announces High-End and Mid-Range A/V Components with Dolby Atmos Sound [6/23]
- Integra High-End and Mid-Range A/V Components to support Dolby Atmos [6/23]
- Dolby Announces Availability of Dolby Atmos in the Home [6/23]
- A Product That Redefines a Backyard Home Theater Project [1/29]
According to a short article on High-Def Digest, Universal Studios will be releasing its first movies on Blu-ray disc on July 22nd.
The studio was a staunch supporter of the HD DVD format, but when Warner Bros. announced its move to Blu-ray exclusivity back in January, it didn't take long for HD DVD to implode. On February 19th, I posted that Universal was making plans to release movies on the Blu-ray format.
Those plans are coming to fruition with the release of three movies from "The Mummy" franchise, just ahead of the theatrical release of The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor on August 1st.
I did some digging and found this article from the Hollywood Reporter (via Reuters) that says that the studio plans to release future home video titles on both DVD and Blu-ray at the same time. The first such release will be for Doomsday, which does not yet have an exact release date. Given its March 14, 2008 release date, a 3-4 month window would put its release somewhere around mid-June to mid-July at the earliest. However, since they mention that the 7/22 release of the Mummy movies are going to be their first, it would follow that Doomsday will come out later.
Universal has created some great HD DVD titles, including the three Jason Bourne movies, U-571, King Kong, and others. These will likely make excellent demo titles for the Blu-ray format, as they were for HD DVD.
Overall, Universal looks to release 40 titles in the second half of 2008. Here is a list of those mentioned:
- The Incredible Hulk
- Hellboy II: The Golden Army
- Mamma Mia
- The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
- The Mummy
- The Mummy Returns
- The Scorpion King
- American Gangster
- Knocked Up
- The 40-Year-Old Virgin
- Miami Vice
- End of Days
- Land of the Dead
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.