Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- The Last Airbender 
Add Your Comments
- Sacramento, CA: Century Arden 14 and XD Opens on Site of Former Century Stadium 14 [12/1]
- West Dundee, IL: Cinemark Spring Hill Mall and XD to Open December 15, 2016 [11/30]
- Chandler, AZ: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Chandler Opens December 2, 2016 [11/30]
- Oak Creek, WI: Marcus Value Cinema - Oak Creek Being Sold to Church [11/30]
- Warren, MI: Cinemark Warren 16 Closed and Will Become an MJR Theatres Location in 2017 [11/28]
- Daytona Beach, FL: Cobb Daytona Luxury 12 Coming in December [11/28]
- Streator, IL: Streator Eagle 6 to Open December 2, 2016 [11/28]
- Marcus Theatres to Acquire All Wehrenberg Theatres Locations [11/21]
- Grand Junction, CO: Movie Theater Opens in Former Carmike 7 Location [11/18]
- Flagstaff, AZ: Harkins Flagstaff 16 Opens, Harkins Flagstaff 11 Closes [11/18]
Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies have announced that they have greenlit the adventure movie The Last Airbender, to be released on July 2, 2010.
The full press release appears below.
Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies' Epic Adventure 'M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender' From Director/Writer/Producer M. Night Shyamalan Set for Release Over Fourth of July Holiday Weekend in 2010
Live-Action Adaptation of Wildly Popular Nickelodeon Animated TV Series
HOLLYWOOD, Calif., April 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies have greenlit the live-action epic adventure "M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender," which will launch over the Independence Day weekend in 2010, opening on Friday, July 2, 2010.
Shyamalan, the visionary creator of the Oscar(R)-nominated "The Sixth Sense," "Signs" and the upcoming "The Happening," will direct and produce the epic action-adventure based on a script that he penned.
"I was drawn to the series because of its influences: one being Hayao Miyazaki, said Shyamalan. "I've always been a huge fan of Miyazaki's work. He is one of the greatest storytellers in the world and makes anime films in Japan. His combination of spirituality and super natural elements have brought depth and meaning to his art form. In 'The Last Airbender,' I see an opportunity to make a live-action version of a Miyazaki film."
"We're delighted to be partnering with Nickelodeon to bring M. Night Shyamalan's vision of "The Last Airbender" to the big screen and to audiences of all ages," said John Lesher, President, Paramount Film Group.
"M. Night Shyamalan's exciting vision for a film with the potential of 'The Last Airbender,' is another perfect fit for the Fourth of July holiday weekend that we have used to launch such blockbusters as 'War of the Worlds' and 'Transformers,'" said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman, Paramount Pictures.
Based on the hugely successful Nickelodeon animated TV series, the live-action feature film is set in a world where human civilization is divided into four nations: Water, Earth, Air and Fire.
The Fire Nation is waging a ruthless, oppressive war against the other three nations. The film's hero, the reluctant young Aang, is the "Last Airbender" -- the Avatar who, according to prophecy, has the ability to manipulate all of the elements and bring all the nations together. Aided by a protective teenage Waterbender named Katara and her bull-headed brother Sokka, Aang proceeds on a perilous journey to restore balance to their war-torn world.
"M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender" promises to be a summer movie for the ages, combining the imagination and visual canvas of the "Lord of the Rings" saga with the action and spectacle of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."
About Paramount Pictures Corporation
Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment, is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The company's labels include Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, MTV Films, Nickelodeon Movies and DreamWorks Studios. PPC operations also include Paramount Pictures Digital Entertainment, Paramount Home Entertainment, Paramount Pictures International, Paramount Licensing Inc., Paramount Studio Group, and Worldwide Television Distribution.
Source: Paramount Pictures Corporation
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.