Remove ads with our VIP Service
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Special Extended Edition) 
Add Your Comments
- Covington, LA: Movie Tavern Northshore Opening July 31, 2014 [7/25]
- Youngstown, OH: Cinemark Movies 8 Reopens as Boardman Movies 8 [7/18]
- "The Giver: World Premiere Red Carpet Event" Coming to Select Theaters Ahead of Movie's Release [7/14]
- Lansing, MI: Lansing Mall Gains Regal Cinema, Loses Lansing Mall Cinema [7/11]
- Milwaukee, WI: Avalon Theatre Reopening Delayed [7/11]
- Towson, MD: Cinemark Towson and XD Opens Today [7/10]
- Warner Robins, GA: GTC Parkway 6 Cinemas to Close [7/9]
- Akron, OH: Nightlight Cinema Now Open [7/2]
- Lancaster, OH: Regal River Valley Mall 10 Closed [7/1]
- Beloit, WI: Luxury 10 Cinemas Gets New Owner [6/30]
The Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts in Vienna, Virginia is starting off its 2008 season with the U.S. premiere of Howard Shore's Academy and Grammy award winning score for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on May 21st and 22nd.
Howard Shore's Score Performed Live to Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. (PRNewsFoto/Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts)
Conductor Ludwig Wicki will lead a live symphony orchestra, the City Choir of Washington, and the World Children's Choir in a three-hour presentation of the movie score beneath high definition projection of the movie. While the press release doesn't come out and say it, it would appear that the entire movie is played on the screen above the orchestra; the running time of the performance matches the 2:58 running time we have for the movie.
Musical scores for movies are one of the most underappreciated art forms, in my opinion. This is unfortunate, given the impact they have on the movie experience. This performance will allow those in attendance to experience first-hand how the score supports the images of the movie. This should be a truly unique experience and anyone fortunate enough to be able to attend should do so! Currently, these two performances are the only two scheduled for the United States.
The performances are scheduled for Wednesday, May 21st and Thursday, May 22nd at 8:30pm. Tickets are priced at $25 to $55, which seems quite reasonable for three hours worth of live entertainment.
Tickets can be purchased by calling 1 (877) WOLFTRAP; or online at http://www.wolftrap.org. For more information, call Wolf Trap at (703) 255-1868.
Source: Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.