Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- August Rush 
Add Your Comments
- A Snapshot of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray - 80k players, 88 titles, 1 million discs sold [11/8]
- High-Def Digest Previews the Sony UBP-X1000ES Ultra HD Blu-ray Player [9/29]
- OPPO Digital Confirms Upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray Player [9/26]
- Sony Announces 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player for Spring 2017 Release [9/15]
- Yamaha Announces RX-A 60 Series AVENTAGE AV Receivers [5/17]
- Yamaha Announces RX-V 81 Series A/V Receivers, Featuring Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and 4K Ultra HD [4/6]
- Yamaha Releases DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Firmware Updates [4/6]
- DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Update for More Marantz Models Now Available [3/3]
- Denon Releases DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Firmware Update for AVR-X4200W and AVR-X6200W [2/18]
- Yamaha Announces Spring 2016 Timeframe for DTS:X Firmware Updates for Select AV Receivers, AV Processor, and Sound Bars [2/17]
Warner Home Video
List Price: $35.99 (Check Price at Amazon.com)
| Video Format:||35mm|| 1080p VC-1|
- Deleted Scenes
About the Movie
A young boy in an orphanage believes that his parents are still out there looking for him, and if he can follow the music he hears in everything, it will lead him to them, and them to him. Can fate, serendipity, and their mutual love of music bring this family back together?
How Does it Look?
The video was good, but not spectacular. I didn't notice any artifacts such as noise or edge enhancement, but the image was not as pristine as other movies. This look may have been intentional, so while this isn't going to be good for video demos, it's a very enjoyable picture to watch.
How Does it Sound?
I thought that the audio mix performed very well, which is important in a movie where music is the central theme. When August hears music from common scenes, the musical notes come from every direction -- a very effective use of surrounds in advancing the story. The dialogue is always understandable and the music very pleasing to listen to.
I like to see the theatrical trailer included with movies, so I was disappointed to find that none was included here.
The deleted scenes are all in standard definition and none of them do much to add to the enjoyment of the movie. Kudos to the editors for cutting them out.
Like so many other Blu-ray discs that I have watched, this disc does not support bookmarking, which allows you to mark particular scenes for future reference. This feature is also convenient when watching a movie in multiple sittings, so that you can come back to where you left off. Most Blu-ray players (and HD DVD players before them) do not auto-resume a movie if you turn it off and/or eject the disc, but fortunately the auto-resume feature on the PlayStation 3 does work properly with this BDMV-formatted disc.
ConclusionIf you approach this movie as a fictional drama with a requirement that everything be ordered and completely believable, you may not like this movie. If you go into it expecting the likes of a fairy tale, where fate and destiny brings the major characters together so they can live happily ever after, you'll be much happier with the result of spending more than two hours with August Rush. I liked the movie, but it's only worth a rental.
Don't just take our word for it, check out these resources for more reviews of the movie and of the disc.
- Movie Reviews
- Blu-ray Reviews
Check Prices on Amazon.com
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.