Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Laguna Beach, CA: Regency Laguna South Coast Twin Closed [9/4]
- Fitchburg, WI: AMC Star Fitchburg 18 & IMAX to Get Updates, Upgrades to Sound, Seating, etc. [9/3]
- Matthews, NC: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [8/25]
- Groton, CT: Groton Cinema 6 Closed [8/25]
- Anaheim, CA: UltraStar GardenWalk Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Scottsdale, AZ: UltraStar Scottsdale Pavilion 11 Closed [8/24]
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI: Carmike Varsity Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Roanoke, TX: Cinemark Roanoke and XD Now Open [8/14]
- Revere, MA: Showcase Cinema de Lux Revere Debuts "MX4D® Theatre" [8/6]
- Tulsa, OK: Village Movies 8 Opens Today [7/31]
The San Francisco Chronicle has a story about the recent re-opening of the Marina Theater after being closed since 2001, when it was called the Cinema 21.
The theater re-opened on May 2, 2008 after a multi-month construction project and a four year journey that involved the original theater building being demolished. A neighborhood association, merchants group, and other concerned citizens opposed a plan by Walgreens to completely obliterate the theater, and Walgreens agreed to give up half the building for the new theater to be built.
The article highlights owners Frank and Lida Lee of Lee Neighborhood Theatres and the amount of personal effort they put into the Marina Theater:
"I picked everything - the colors, the lights," said Lida Lee, referring to the chandeliers hanging above the refreshment-stand area. She was the driving force behind interior restoration of the Presidio, which the Lees reopened in 2004, augmenting its original Art Deco design, and now the Marina.
"Took me a long time to find those lights. ... We built this one from scratch, so it was more fun," she said.
The Lees also own the Presidio and the 4 Star in San Francisco, making them the largest independent operator in the city.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.