Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Finding Nemo 
Add Your Comments
- Adding Height Speakers for a Dolby Atmos Installation - Comparison Test [9/17]
- Samsung Unveils First UltraHD Blu-ray Player, Fox Promises Movies [9/3]
- DTS Releases More Details About DTS:X for Home Theaters [4/9]
- Video Interview with Joe Kane on the Future of TV, Ultra HD, and more [2/5]
- DTS Reveals DTS:X Immersive Sound Technology [1/8]
- High-Def Digest Goes Hands-On with a Pioneer Dolby Atmos Sound System [9/30]
- Integra Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Onkyo Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Denon Announces New X-Series Network A/V Receivers, Dolby Atmos Support [7/24]
- Dolby Publishes More Information About Home Version of Dolby Atmos [6/28]
Video Business is reporting that Walt Disney will be utilizing BD-Live functionality of the high definition Blu-ray format on all of its Disney-branded discs after Sleeping Beauty is release in October.
Studio president Bob Chapek is referenced as saying that all titles released on Blu-ray within the Disney and Pixar brands will include BD-Live elements, which utilize online connectivity to provide features such as downloadable content, interactivity like live chat and multi-player games, and sharing content with other online users.
From the article:
Sleeping Beauty is shaping up as one of the most comprehensive BD Live titles yet, featuring in-movie chatting, personalized video messaging, online gaming and e-commerce features. To this point, many of the major studios' first such releases have included one or two Web-enabled extras such as the online fighter game on Lionsgate’s War Blu-ray release.
With ‘Movie Chat,’ BD Live networked users will be able to watch Sleeping Beauty together and chat in real-time using such devices as PCs, iPhones or Blackberrys. Users also will be able to record messages of themselves, superimpose the video within Sleeping Beauty and then send the clip to other BD Live networked players.
The featured ‘Movie Challenge’ will be a Sleeping Beauty trivia game in which people will face off while watching the movie together. Game players accumulate points that can be redeemed at the “Disney Movie Rewards Live” shop for such items as themed wallpaper and ringtones.
Click on the Read link below to read the full article.
|Sleeping Beauty will be released on Blu-ray October 7, 2008. Click here to view more details and pre-order your copy today from Amazon.com!|
Having this committment come from one of the major studios that has backed the Blu-ray format from the beginning is a clear signal to other movie studios, Blu-ray player manufacturers, and consumers that it is dedicating resources to using all the features available in the latest revision of the Blu-ray format specifications.
News like this is the reason why I have been pushing the idea that any Blu-ray player not capable of BD-Live is not worth buying. When Disney announced back in January that its premiere animated releases of Sleeping Beauty and Finding Nemo would use BD-Live features, I knew that having a player that supported those features would be important. Those with a view to the future could easily see that online connectivity would play an increasingly more important part of enjoying titles released on Blu-ray.
So, which Blu-ray players are capable of playing BD-Live content? Currently, only one; the Sony PlayStation 3. While other players have been announced, none have actually made it into customer hands that have the functionality built-in (although some come with promises of future upgrades).
Thanks to EngadgetHD for making us aware of this news!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.