Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Landmark Oriental Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Neil Patrick Harris Announced as Host of 2015 Academy Awards Ceremony [10/15]
- North Bethesda, MD: Luxury iPic Movie Theater and Restaurant Coming to Pike & Rose [10/7]
- Hilo, HI: Regal Kress Cinemas 4 Closed [10/3]
- "Interstellar" to be Released on 35mm, 70mm, and 70mm IMAX Film Two Days Early - See Why and Where [10/2]
- Huber Heights, OH: Rave Cinemas Huber Heights 16 Getting Luxury Recliners, Upgraded Lobby and Concession Area [10/2]
- Londonderry, NH: Apple Tree Mall Cinema 12 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Lansing, IL: Lansing Cinema 8 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Fort Lauderdale, FL: AutoNation IMAX 3D Theater Closed for Renovation - Reopening Scheduled for October 10, 2014 [9/29]
- Sunrise, FL: Frank Theatres - Sunrise 11 Reopens as AMC Sunrise 8 [9/29]
- Springfield, OR: Discount Cinemark Movies 12 Closing [9/26]
I was about to post an article about a new movie club that was starting up at the Oriental Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and following the link to the club's web site showed that it covered eight cities in total:
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Boca Raton, Florida
- Boston, Massachussetts
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- New Haven, Connecticut
- San Francisco, California
- St. Louis, Missouri
- Washington, D.C.
The Milwaukee branch of the Key Sunday Cinema Club has announced its fall schedule which begins on September 14th. The sessions will be moderated by Patrice Petro and Gilberto Blasini, both faculty members at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. Petro is Professor of Cinema & Media Studies, and English, and Blasini is an Associate Professor of Cinema & Media Studies, and English, as well as Director of the Cinema and Media Studies Program.
Membership for the Milwaukee branch is $85 for new members and $95 for returning members, which admits you to all 7 screenings and post-screening discussions. Rates vary bycity, so check out the web site for details.
Movie clubs like this can be a great way to better appreciate movies, because hearing comments from someone who is familiar with the style and/or content of the movie can help one obtain a better understanding of what the filmmaker was intending. I've watched some movies that definitely could have used some explanation, just so I could figure out why people in some circles are raving about a movie that I found nearly incomprehensible! In a few rare cases, the commentaries included on DVDs, HD DVDs, and Blu-ray discs have helped in this regard.
Click the Read link below to visit the web site for the Key Sunday Cinema Club.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.