Remove ads with our VIP Service
- AMC Southcenter 16
Add Your Comments
- Londonderry, NH: Apple Tree Mall Cinema 12 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Lansing, IL: Lansing Cinema 8 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Fort Lauderdale, FL: AutoNation IMAX 3D Theater Closed for Renovation - Reopening Scheduled for October 10, 2014 [9/29]
- Sunrise, FL: Frank Theatres - Sunrise 11 Reopens as AMC Sunrise 8 [9/29]
- Springfield, OR: Discount Cinemark Movies 12 Closing [9/26]
- Florence, OR: Florence Cinemas Reopens as City Lights Cinemas [9/26]
- Yuma, AZ: Main Street Cinemas Closed [9/24]
- Pittsburgh, PA: Cinemark North Hills and XD to Open September 19, 2014 [9/17]
- North Haven, CT: Rave Cinemas North Haven 12 to be Replaced by New 14-Screen Cinemark Theater in 2015 [9/12]
- Babylon, NY: Bow Tie Babylon Theater Closed [9/12]
The Southcenter Mall in Tukwila, Washington (Seattle area) has just completed a major expansion project and one of the new tenants is the new AMC Southcenter 16. The new movie theater boasts a great decor that features murals and movie quotes, with a view of Mount Rainier that conveniently looks like the Paramount Pictures logo under the right circumstances.
Also notable about the new theater is that it is the first theater in the Northwest United States that features digital cinema projection systems in every one of its 16 screens. The digital projectors were supplied by Sony, who produces what are called "4K" models, which refer to their resolution of 4096 by 2160 (compared to Blu-ray High Definition resolution of 1920x1080). The fact that the Southcenter 16 is all digital cinema and that every projector is capable of 4K makes this theater one to watch, indeed!
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer has an article about the new theater, but understandably, they were more impressed with the decor than with the technology:
What the movie patron is more likely to notice about the AMC Southcenter 16 is its deluxe layout and decor. It may just be the most lavish and awe-inspiring cathedral of moviegoing to be constructed in the Seattle area since the movie-palace era of the late 1920s.
Unlike most recent multiplexes, this new movie temple, which employs a staff of 75, is not a cookie-cutter model. It is designed to its setting, with a vast window in the reception area that, on a clear day, frames Mount Rainier to look like the Paramount logo.
Entering the lobby under a massive skylight (similar to the one at Pacific Place, only larger and more impressive), the visitor sees its own version of the Sistine Chapel ceiling: a staggering elevated mural of vintage and current movie stars in their greatest roles.
There are no footprints in the forecourt, but there are a hundred or so square feet of famous movie catchphrases cleverly embedded in the walkway for fans to mull over the same way they do the autographed tablets of Grauman's Chinese Theatre. ("They Call Me Mr. Tibbs!" "Show Me the Money," "Go Ahead, Make My Day," etc.)
You can check out more about the AMC Southcenter 16 by visiting their Information Page.
Update: The full press release from AMC appears below.
AMC Entertainment® Reveals State-of-the-Art Entertainment Experience to the Emerald City on July 18
All guests will receive one free small popcorn for each ticket purchased July 18-24
Tukwila, Wash. (July 14, 2008) - AMC Entertainment Inc. (AMC), a worldwide leader in theatrical exhibition and out-of-home entertainment, announces today that AMC Southcenter 16 at Westfield Southcenter will open to the public on July 18. This newest AMC theatre will bring the best possible out-of-home entertainment experience to the Seattle area in celebration of the summer blockbuster season. To commemorate the grand opening, all guests who visit AMC Southcenter 16 between July 18-24, will receive one free small popcorn with each ticket purchased.
A guest's dream come true, AMC Southcenter 16 will feature the most current motion picture releases and other types of entertainment, presented in the immersive, big-screen viewing environment of an AMC theatre. The new state-of-the-art facility is the first all-digital theatre in the area and is equipped with projectors capable of producing images with more than four times the resolution of HDTV. Floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall curved, premium screens bring your favorite stars to life with four auditoriums boasting screens more than three stories high and 50-feet wide, showcasing highly anticipated films such as Warner Bros.' "The Dark Knight" and Universal Pictures' "Mama Mia."
Guests will "Experience the Difference®" at AMC Southcenter 16, and enjoy a premium out-of-home entertainment experience as well as best-in-the-business value programs offered exclusively at AMC locations including:
- A.M.Cinema® - provides morning guests the opportunity to see first-run movies at the best ticket price of the day ($6) before noon on select Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holiday periods.
- AMC MovieWatcher - the industry's first guest loyalty program that is absolutely free. With each ticket purchased, members earn points toward free drinks, free popcorn and free movies. Also, members who visit AMC on Wednesdays receive a free small popcorn with every ticket purchased. Rewards increase when an account is activated online at MovieWatcher.com.
- Clip's PicksSM - a first in the theatre industry, gives guests the opportunity to save at the concession stand when they select items from the value menu. Items can be purchased for $3 each or three for $7.50, representing a savings of more than 15 percent when purchased together. Clip's Picks value menu is available seven days a week, all day at all of AMC's locations in the United States and Canada (except Quebec).
- Free Refills - what experience is complete without more of your favorite snack? Guests can enjoy free refills for each large popcorn and soft drink purchased.
- AMC Special Feature® - great offers on great products. Through July 24, all guests can enjoy unlimited Glacéau vitaminwater® for just $2 each. AMC MovieWatcher members can enjoy unlimited vitaminwater for just $1! From July 25-September 18, all guests can enjoy Oreo Cakesters® for just $1.50 each with all proceeds going to charity.
Guest satisfaction has been the foundation of the AMC experience, where guests have been the stars since its inception in 1920. AMC has a rich history of innovation and has pioneered many of the key industry innovations that make today's entertainment experience more comfortable, convenient and enjoyable including: the multiplex and North American megaplex concepts, LoveSeat®-style seating, cupholder armrests and online ticketing.
AMC Southcenter 16 will showcase modern amenities such as:
- Sixteen auditoriums with more than 2,900 seats.
- Stadium seating with 18-inch risers and 48-inch row spacing for a perfectly clear, unobstructed view in all auditoriums.
- AMC's exclusive and ultra-comfortable LoveSeat®-style seating featuring "rocking" backs and lifting cupholder armrests.
- Six-channel digital audio coupled with Dolby® Digital equalization in every auditorium for clear, dynamic distortion-free audio and lifelike special effects.
- AMC's proprietary Digital Theatre Distribution System® (DTDS) for enhanced pre-show entertainment that includes a first-look access to everything from movies, television, music, sports and advertising.
- Large, efficient, fast-serve concession area with digital menu boards offering a wide variety of guests' favorite food and beverage options.
- A custom-designed gaming area featuring top-performing arcade games with wide appeal, allowing guests an opportunity to enjoy relaxed or competitive play as part of their entertainment experience.
- AMC Guest Services area for superior guest service.
- Advance credit card tickets sales by phone or online at www.amctheatres.com.
- Four Automated Box Offices (ABOs) for easy ticket purchasing and advance ticket order pick-up.
The theatre is also adorned with AMC's signature design concepts, including sensational high-mural celebrity graphics, movie quotes inlaid in terrazzo flooring, entertaining directors' series photographs and a modern-day rendition of the red carpet, in addition to an expansive concession stand.
Located at the south intersection of I-5 and I-405 in Tukwila, Wash., AMC Southcenter 16 is the entertainment anchor of Westfield Southcenter and is located on the 3rd level of the new expansion on the south side of the project, between the new parking decks. Additional information about the grand opening can be found at www.amctheatres.com/sc16.
About AMC Entertainment Inc.
Headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., AMC Entertainment Inc. is one of the world's leading theatrical exhibition and out-of-home entertainment companies. With a history of industry leadership and innovation dating back to 1920, the company today serves more than 235 million guests annually through interests in 353 theatres with 5,094 screens in six countries. www.amctheatres.com.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.