Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Regal Lincolnshire Stadium 15 & IMAX
Add Your Comments
- Free Ice Cream Cones at Select Showcase Cinemas April 4, 2017 [3/23]
- Stay for the Credits of "Kong: Skull Island" [3/10]
- Watch Family-Friendly Movies at Marcus Theatres for Just $3 During "Kids Dream" Series [2/23]
- See the First Cast Photo for "Han Solo: A Star Wars Story" [2/22]
- "First Look" Fan Event on February 28, 2017 for "Ghost in the Shell" at Select IMAX Theaters [2/16]
- Marcus Adds More Wehrenberg Locations to its Best Picture Festival [2/14]
- Watch All the Best Picture Nominees at AMC's Best Picture Showcase [1/26]
- See the Best Picture Nominees at Marcus Theatres' 2017 Best Picture Festival [1/26]
- Watch Best Picture Nominated Movies at Regal Cinemas Locations for One Price [1/26]
- Disney Classics Part of "The Enchanted Tales" Series at Marcus Theatres [1/26]
The IMAX version of the new Batman movie The Dark Knight: The IMAX Experience is proving to be a very good thing for IMAX theaters across the country!
IMAX Corporation has just issued a press release stating that the movie has brought in $16.3 million domestically as of Sunday, July 27th, and was on track to cross $20 million worldwide yesterday.
"The Dark Knight is continuing to create new Batman fans nationwide with many repeat customers experiencing it in IMAX theatres," said Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. "The box office performance of the film in IMAX's format demonstrates how The IMAX Experience(R) transforms an already exciting movie into an event that lasts beyond the first weekend."
While many other movies have been converted from standard 35mm into the IMAX format using IMAX's DMR technology, The Dark Knight is notable in that several sequences were shot using IMAX cameras. That means that, instead of seeing something that has been blown up from 35mm to IMAX, audiences are seeing native IMAX photography during those sequences.
Since the number of screens playing The Dark Knight in IMAX are much fewer in number than traditional 35mm or digital cinema showings, the demand by audiences continues to sell out shows at IMAX theaters across the country. In my case, the closest IMAX theater to Milwaukee is the Regal Lincolnshire 20 & IMAX Theatre in Lincolnshire, Illinois. That theater continues to sell out the evening shows, to the point of if you wanted to see the 7pm show, the soonest you could get tickets is for Friday!
I'm not the biggest fan of seeing movies that have been done in the IMAX DMR format since they are just blow-ups of 35mm movies. However, the fact that this movie has some native IMAX sequences piques my curiousity enough to make it worth the 1.5 hour drive one-way. I'm hoping that the success of the IMAX version of The Dark Knight will spur more filmmakers to explore large-format photography for their movies (gone are the days when 70mm was used to make movies).
If this trend continues, we definitely need to get an IMAX theater here in Milwaukee. Driving to Chicago or Madison is just not practical on a regular basis!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.