Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Brookfield
- Marcus North Shore Cinemas
- Marcus Saukville Cinema
Add Your Comments
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Theatres Takes Over Former Regal Glen 10 Location [11/18]
- Hornell, NY: Movie Theater to Reopen in December [11/18]
- West Valley City, UT: Carmike Ritz 15 - Hollywood Connection Closed [11/17]
- St. Charles, MO: AMC Streets of St Charles 8 Opening November 17, 2014 [11/14]
- Glenview, IL: Regal Glen 10 Closed [11/4]
- North Little Rock, AR: Cinemark Tandy Movies 10 Closed [11/4]
- Cincinnati, OH: The Screens at Cincinnati Mall Opens in Former Danbarry Dollar Saver - Cincinnati Mills Site [10/24]
- Aurora, CO: Aurora Movie Tavern Debuts New Amenities [10/24]
- El Monte, CA: Edwards El Monte 8 Closed [10/24]
- Neil Patrick Harris Announced as Host of 2015 Academy Awards Ceremony [10/15]
The planning commission in Mequon, Wisconsin has cleared the way for Marcus Theatres Corp. to upgrade the Marcus North Shore with a 450 seat UltraScreen auditorium, a Zaffiro's pizza counter, a redesigned lobby and outdoor dining area, and a renovated entrance.
At least one of the auditoriums in the theater will be equipped with a Digital Cinema projection system capable of 3D. Food and drink choices will also be improved with the addition of Stone Creek Coffee and Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream, according to an article in the Small Business Times.
One of the cinema's 11 screens will be converted for the new restaurants, and the new UltraScreen will be added onto the East side of the building. From the description of the upgrades, these improvements will put the theater more on par with the amenities present at the chain's newest Milwaukee area theater, the Marcus Majestic in Waukesha. You can view a gallery of 85 photos that we took of that theater during construction and when it opened for an idea of its lobby, amenities, and exterior appearance.
Marcus plans to begin construction this fall.
Even though Marcus reportedly told the Mequon Planning Commission that attendance has dropped from its peak in the 1990's (see mention on JSOnline), the parking lot for North Shore is rarely empty. The construction in 2005 of the Marcus Cinema - Saukville may have drawn off some of North Shore's customers, but random viewings of the Saukville cinema's parking lot shows nowhere near the number of vehicles that North Shore has on a regular basis.
While the North Shore cinema has very little competition, its appearance is quite dated. For being in an upscale suburb, the entrance is so plain that a casual glance from the freeway would fail to identify the structure as a movie theater. While I can't imagine the commission approved a marquee sign and entrance the size of the Majestic's (see the photo to the right), that would certainly improve the first impression of the theater and its visibility to the adjacent I-43 freeway.
Upgrades to the lobby to bring it up to Marcus' recent efforts would also be a welcome improvement.
Click the Read link below to view the full article on the Small Business Times web site. Additional information can be found in an article on the Milwaukee Business Journal web site as well.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.