Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Yamaha Announces RX-A 60 Series AVENTAGE AV Receivers [5/17]
- Yamaha Announces RX-V 81 Series A/V Receivers, Featuring Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and 4K Ultra HD [4/6]
- Yamaha Releases DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Firmware Updates [4/6]
- DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Update for More Marantz Models Now Available [3/3]
- Denon Releases DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Firmware Update for AVR-X4200W and AVR-X6200W [2/18]
- Yamaha Announces Spring 2016 Timeframe for DTS:X Firmware Updates for Select AV Receivers, AV Processor, and Sound Bars [2/17]
- DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Update for the Marantz AV8802A Now Available [2/4]
- Denon Releases DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Firmware for AVR-X7200WA [1/28]
- Denon Plans DTS:X Firmware Upgrades in January/February 2016, Marantz in February/March [12/17]
- Adding Height Speakers for a Dolby Atmos Installation - Comparison Test [9/17]
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Warner Home Video
List Price: $19.98 (Check Price at Amazon.com)
Also included as part of the Peanuts Holiday Collection (check prices), which also includes A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Charlie Brown Christmas
| Video Format:||Unknown||480i MPEG-2|
Disc 1 Contents
- Upfront Ads (3:18) (can be skipped by selecting the Menu or Skip buttons)
- "Wizard of Oz" anti-piracy ad
- Jack Frost on DVD
- Charlie Brown Thanksgiving on DVD
- Charlie Brown Christmas on DVD
- Peanuts Holiday Collection on DVD
- It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (25:13)
- It's Magic, Charlie Brown (24:15)
- Special Features
- Featurette: We Need a Blockbuster, Charlie Brown!
- Trailer for Wiggles: You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
- Trailer for Scooby Doo and the Goblin King
- Digital Download Code for 2 songs from iTunes
About the TV Special
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is one of those enduring classics that have stood the test of time. Originally broadcast on television in 1966, this has become a yearly staple in the lives of many kids, and adults who used to be kids and who grew up watching this every Halloween.
For those unaware or in need of a refresher, the Peanuts gang is getting ready for Halloween. While everyone else is going out for "tricks and treats," Linus is heading for the pumpkin patch in the hopes of seeing "the Great Pumpkin," which is the Halloween equivalent to Santa Claus for him.
How Does it Look?
Presented in its original 1.33:1 aspect ratio, the video looks fantastic! Could I go looking for edge and block artifacts? Probably, this is line-drawn animation and that's notoriously difficult for the MPEG-2 format on DVD to handle, but through casual viewing, I did not notice any distracting artifacts.
How Does it Sound?
The sound quality is mono, but that's to be expected from a TV show circa 1966. The audio is well done though, without any shrillness or sound issues.
Along with the main feature, this title also contains another Peanuts gang show, It's Magic Charlie Brown, where Snoopy takes up magic as a hobby and puts on a magic show for all the Peanuts gang. While not on the same level of story and animation as the main feature, it's going to be fun to watch for kids of all ages.
Also included is a featurette titled We Need a Blockbuster, Charlie Brown!, which is a short documentary that describes the challenges faced by Charles M. Schultz, producer Lee Mendelson, and animator/director Bell Melendez in following up the hugely successful Christmas special. Kids won't get much out of it, but it was interesting to watch and brief.
In the packaging, you will find a code that you can redeem in the iTunes Store to download two tracks from the CD "Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. The downloads went easy after agreeing to the purchase terms and conditions put forth by iTunes, and the 128kbps protected AAC sounded pretty good, even though iTunes needed to boost the level by 6dB through the SoundCheck process.
ConclusionEvery home should have a copy of this TV special, and I don't care if you don't have any kids! You'd have to be completely void of any childlike innocence not to enjoy this classic. Since you'll be able to get quite a bit of use out of it, I have no reservations about recommending this for purchase.
Don't just take our word for it, check out these resources for more reviews of the movie and of the disc.
Download/Purchase from iTunes Store
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.