Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Sacramento, CA: Century Arden 14 and XD Opens on Site of Former Century Stadium 14 [12/1]
- West Dundee, IL: Cinemark Spring Hill Mall and XD to Open December 15, 2016 [11/30]
- Chandler, AZ: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Chandler Opens December 2, 2016 [11/30]
- Oak Creek, WI: Marcus Value Cinema - Oak Creek Being Sold to Church [11/30]
- Warren, MI: Cinemark Warren 16 Closed and Will Become an MJR Theatres Location in 2017 [11/28]
- Daytona Beach, FL: Cobb Daytona Luxury 12 Coming in December [11/28]
- Streator, IL: Streator Eagle 6 to Open December 2, 2016 [11/28]
- Marcus Theatres to Acquire All Wehrenberg Theatres Locations [11/21]
- Grand Junction, CO: Movie Theater Opens in Former Carmike 7 Location [11/18]
- Flagstaff, AZ: Harkins Flagstaff 16 Opens, Harkins Flagstaff 11 Closes [11/18]
According to articles in the Wisconsin State Journal and The Capital Times, the Marcus Westgate Cinema in Madison, Wisconsin will close on or around December 14, 2008.
The location faced competitive pressure from the nearby Sundance Cinemas 608 Madison after it opened in May 2007. Many markets have trouble supporting just one art-oriented theater, so it's no surprise that two in such close proximity were not going to last.
Marcus spokesman Carlo Petrick was quoted in the Wisconsin State Journal article as saying that the December 14th date was an "unofficial" closing date.
Petrick did not refer to Sundance — which, like Westgate, offers a lineup of art and independent films — as the reason for the company not renewing its lease at Westgate Mall. Instead, he pointed to a "greatly reduced" number of art and independent films in the last two years. Still, Sundance often attracted the most prominent non-mainstream films, and Westgate would show some of the same films after they were shown at Sundance.
Don't take this news that Marcus has given up on the Madison market, as they announced back in May that the Eastgate Cinemas is being replaced by a new facility. That project is reportedly still in the "planning stages" and no construction has begun. Back in August 2006, the company announced that they would be building a new theater on the Southeast side of Madison, but that project never broke ground.
For the full articles from each publication, please see the links below.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.