Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- The Dark Knight 
- The Dark Knight: The IMAX Experience 
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 
- Slumdog Millionaire 
- Titanic 
Add Your Comments
- Asheville, NC: UA Beaucatcher Cinemas 7 Closed [1/20]
- Hamilton, NJ: Grand Opening of Regal Independence Plaza 12 & RPX Scheduled for February 16, 2017 [1/18]
- Arlington, TX: Studio Movie Grill - Arlington Lincoln Square to Open January 19, 2017 [1/16]
- Arlington, TX: Studio Movie Grill - Arlington Lincoln Square to Offer Special-Needs Programs [1/16]
- Cedar Park, TX: AMC Taking Over Former Regal Lakeline Mall 9 [1/12]
- Austin, TX: Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In Planning Move to Buda [1/12]
- More IMAX Installations Coming to Regal Locations [1/11]
- Columbus, OH: Studio Movie Grill - Arena Grand Closed [1/11]
- Roseville, MN: AMC Rosedale 14 Adds Dolby Cinema [1/11]
- Monterey, CA: Cinemark Monterey Cannery Row XD Closed [1/3]
Warner Bros. Pictures announced Friday that The Dark Knight has crossed a major milestone last week by grossing a total of more than one billion dollars in worldwide box office receipts since its opening in July 2008.
According to the press release, The Dark Knight is the second highest grossing movie of all time domestically (the IMDb reports that The Dark Knight has brought in $533 million in the U.S. and Titanic is #1 with $601 million), and fourth highest worldwide (behind Titanic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest).
“From our initial record-shattering opening weekend to the unprecedented momentum of the film’s box office run, we could not be more proud of ‘The Dark Knight’s’ unparalleled success,” said Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution. “We salute our filmmakers, cast and crew on making cinematic history.”
“Chris Nolan has taken the Batman franchise to a new level internationally,” said Veronika Kwan-Rubinek, President of International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. “Audiences around the world have really embraced ‘The Dark Knight,’ which has more than doubled the gross of any of the prior films in the franchise.”
The latest Batman movie is also a hit with our readers, 92% of whom have given it a See Now! rating in the Reader Reviews section. The movie hit home video with a vengeance back in December, and the high definition Blu-ray release set records for the format by selling more than a million units in the U.S. and 1.7 million worldwide.
I guess news like this softens the pain felt at Warner Bros. this week for having the chance to pick up 8-time Academy Award winner Slumdog Millionaire and passing it over...
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.