Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Punisher: War Zone 
- Quantum of Solace 
- The Spirit 
- Transporter 3 
- Twilight 
Add Your Comments
- On Home Video: "Collateral Beauty" [2/28]
- On Home Video: "Sing" - March 21, 2017 [2/21]
- "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back" on Home Video January 31, 2017 [1/30]
- "Nocturnal Animals" Coming to Home Video February 21, 2017 [1/30]
- "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" Coming to Home Video March 28, 2017 [1/28]
- On Home Video: "Arrival" - February 14, 2017 [1/11]
- Gift Cards Make Great Gifts! [12/23]
- On Home Video: December 6, 2016 - Jason Bourne, The Secret Life of Pets, and more [12/7]
- Read the Book Before You See "The Shack" [12/5]
- Gift Cards for Theaters and Restaurants Make Great Gifts! [12/1]
Apple announced last week that iTunes Store customers are now able to purchase high definition movies in addition to renting them. The first movies made available are the latest James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace, and the vampire action/romance movie Twilight.
You can purchase box office blockbusters for download in HD for $19.99 from iTunes, and movies will be available as iTunes Movie Rentals in HD for $4.99 within 30 days after release. The HD versions can be enjoyed Macs, PCs, and on their widescreen TV with an Apple TV connected. The standard definition version is playable on the iPhone and iPods with video.
"Movie fans are going to love being able to buy and rent films including 'Quantum of Solace' and 'Twilight' in stunning HD from the iTunes Store," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of Internet Services. "Customers have made HD content on iTunes a hit, with over 50 percent of TV programming being purchased in HD when available."[Starting March 19th], iTunes customers can pre-order "Quantum of Solace" which will be downloaded to their computer on March 24, and the smash hit thriller "Twilight" will be available on March 21. iTunes customers can purchase "Transporter 3," "Punisher: War Zone" and other select titles in HD today, and the action/comedy "The Spirit" will be available on April 14.
Apple started renting HD movies back in January 2008, and one wonders what has taken so long to get purchases added to their featureset. Given the fact that most people do not wish to watch full-length movies on their computers (unless they're traveling and watching on a laptop) and that the Apple TV has not taken the world by storm, perhaps there isn't a very big market for HD movies via iTunes. However, if they have the videos converted already, I guess it's probably just a matter of adding the necessary rights clauses to Apple's contracts with the studios. With the recent announcements from services like Vudu, Netflix, Hulu, TiVo, and Amazon Video on Demand, I suppose there might have been some egos bruised on the Apple campus, so this announcement brings them back on par, so long as you've bought into the iTunes universe.
If this announcement interests you, head on over to our iTunes Store page in the Gift Shop and start shopping!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.