Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Grumpy Old Men 
Add Your Comments
- DTS Releases More Details About DTS:X for Home Theaters [4/9]
- Video Interview with Joe Kane on the Future of TV, Ultra HD, and more [2/5]
- DTS Reveals DTS:X Immersive Sound Technology [1/8]
- High-Def Digest Goes Hands-On with a Pioneer Dolby Atmos Sound System [9/30]
- Integra Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Onkyo Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Denon Announces New X-Series Network A/V Receivers, Dolby Atmos Support [7/24]
- Dolby Publishes More Information About Home Version of Dolby Atmos [6/28]
- Yamaha Elevates Premium AVENTAGE AV Receivers with Next Gen Features Including Dolby Atmos® [6/25]
- Onkyo Announces High-End and Mid-Range A/V Components with Dolby Atmos Sound [6/23]
Grumpy Old Men
Warner Home Video
List Price: $28.99 (Check Price at Amazon.com)
Click here for additional movie details, including the full plot summary, cast listing, trailers and videos, photos, reviews of the movie, and links to the official movie web site and more.
| Video Format:
Movie: BD-25 (x1) BD-J
- No Upfront Ads!
- Special Features (SD, 2 channel, VC-1)
- Theatrical Trailer
About the Movie
Jack Lemmon and Walther Matthau are two old friends that sound like enemies with their constant verbal banter towards each other. The jousting intensifies with the arrival of vivacious Ann-Margret across the street, and the two men must come to terms with their relationship and which of them might end up getting the girl.
How Does it Look?
The picture quality was generally pretty good on this disc. I didn't notice any artifacting or edge enhancement problems. Many scenes take place at night and everything was easily visible in those scenes.
How Does it Sound?
The stereo Dolby TrueHD lossless audio soundtrack is good but there is not much for it to do here. The surrounds do kick in to supply ambient sounds, but the focus of the movie is on dialogue not sound effects. Nonetheless, I'm glad that Warner is continuing to release lossless audio soundtracks, as the consumer should always be given the best quality possible.
I like to see the theatrical trailer included with movies, so I was happy to see one included here. Unfortunately, it's in SD and that's it for extras. Considering that this is considered to be one of the best movies made by the pair of Lemmon and Matthau, it would have been nice if they could have dug up some comments by the two late actors or interviewed Ann-Margret about the movie.
This disc is BD-J formatted, and our PlayStation 3 was able to support auto-resuming the movie from stop but not after ejecting the disc. Bookmarking is not supported.
This is a funny movie starring two of the masters of their work, proving that getting old doesn't have to mean that you're not able to hold your own in a movie. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the scenes where these two are going at it, and that can be considered a rarity among the so-called comedies being released in recent years!
While there is much in the way of extras to reward a purchase, this is a movie that you could probably enjoy watching from time to time and sharing when friends come over. It's curious that Warner did not include a Digital Copy, which is becoming pretty common with their releases, because in this case, I could see where putting a copy on my iPod and watching some of the scenes over again would be enjoyable.
I recommend purchasing this Blu-ray disc for its repeat watching potential and the fun factor of watching Lemmon and Matthau on the screen.
Don't just take our word for it, check out these resources for more reviews of the movie and of the disc.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.