Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- DTS Releases More Details About DTS:X for Home Theaters [4/9]
- Video Interview with Joe Kane on the Future of TV, Ultra HD, and more [2/5]
- DTS Reveals DTS:X Immersive Sound Technology [1/8]
- High-Def Digest Goes Hands-On with a Pioneer Dolby Atmos Sound System [9/30]
- Integra Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Onkyo Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Denon Announces New X-Series Network A/V Receivers, Dolby Atmos Support [7/24]
- Dolby Publishes More Information About Home Version of Dolby Atmos [6/28]
- Yamaha Elevates Premium AVENTAGE AV Receivers with Next Gen Features Including Dolby Atmos® [6/25]
- Onkyo Announces High-End and Mid-Range A/V Components with Dolby Atmos Sound [6/23]
The comedy The Answer Man opens in theaters on Friday, July 24, 2009, but can watch it now, legally!
Amazon.com is offering the movie for a 48-hour rental through their Video on Demand service:
Amazon Video on Demand content can be watched on your Windows and Mac computer, as well as on your TV through the following devices:
- Xbox 360
- Windows Media Center PC
- TiVo DVR
- Roku Digital Video Player
- Sony Bravia TV
- Panasonic VIERA CAST TV
Why would the studio behind the movie do this, you ask? The answer is in knowing which company it is, and that company is Magnolia Pictures.
They have done this for other movie releases in the past, including The Girlfriend Experience, The Architect, and others. (Surveillance, starring Julia Ormand and Bill Pullman is also currently in simultaneous release in theaters and Amazon Video on Demand ) Magnolia Pictures is the theatrical and home entertainment distribution arm of Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban's 2929 Entertainment. Marc Cuban has been a vocal supporter of shaking things up in the movie distribution business. His blog post, What Business are theaters in?, back in 2006 posed the question of what value movie theaters bring to the movie-watching experience, and whether movies should be released in multiple venues simultaneously.
Movie theaters hate the idea, and many refuse to play any movies that they don't have exclusive exhibition rights to. Fortunately for 2929 Entertainment, they also own the Landmark Theatres movie theater chain, so they are able to make sure that their movies see some decent theatrical distribution as well as Video on Demand, Pay per View, and other venues that they decide to release their movies in.
The Answer Man is the latest movie to be released simultaneously, and it contains the best-known cast list of any of their movies so far. These movies aren't "direct to video" caliber releases, and I think sooner or later, the idea is going to catch on at other studios with well-known directors and casts, and it is at that point that movie theaters are going to have to realize that they are going to have to work harder for the money contained in the wallets of movie enthusiasts.
The movie will also be playing on the HDNet Movies cable/satellite channel (also owned by 2929 Entertainment) next week Wednesday, July 22, 2009.
For more information about the movie, including trailers, videos, and photos from the movie, please see the Information Page for The Answer Man.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.