Remove ads with our VIP Service
- The Burning Plain 
Add Your Comments
- Ashburn, VA: Starplex Cinemas - Loudoun Luxury 11 Now Open [4/24]
- Dallas, TX: Cinepolis to Open Luxury Movie Theater in Victory Park [4/21]
- Lewisburg, WV: Lewisburg Cinema 8 Now Open [4/21]
- Fort Worth and Hurst, TX: Cinemark Upgrading Ridgmar 13 and North East Mall 18 Locations with Luxury Loungers [4/15]
- Chicago, IL: ArcLight Cinemas Opening in Lincoln Park in September 2015 [4/11]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Glen Stadium 10 Closes for ArcLight Cinemas Conversion - Reopening on May 1, 2015 [4/11]
- Bangor, ME: Bangor Drive-In to Reopen After 30 Years [4/9]
- Tyler, TX: Studio Movie Grill Set to Open in April 2015 [4/3]
- Chantilly, VA: Smithsonian - Udvar-Hazy Center Airbus IMAX Theater Closed for Laser Upgrade [3/30]
- Culver City, CA: Pacific Culver Stadium 12 Closed for Conversion to ArcLight Cinemas Location [3/26]
The upcoming drama The Burning Plain starring Charlize Theron and Kim Basinger opens in theaters on September 18, 2009, but DirecTV customers will have the chance to see the movie ahead of time when the satellite provider makes it available on their DirecTV Cinema pay-per-view service beginning August 21.
According to the press release from DirecTV, the movie will be available from August 21 to September 16 in 1080p HD or standard-definition (SD) for as low as $9.99 (the SD version, of course).
“DIRECTV customers have always enjoyed the convenience of ordering new release movies from the comfort of their home with the touch of a remote,” said Sarah Lyons, vice president of Marketing for DIRECTV. “But now, we are going one giant step further and giving them an advance look at a feature-length film before it even hits theaters; it’s the ultimate home theater viewing. We look forward to continuing to enhance our platform and deliver compelling programming that can’t be found anywhere else.”
The Burning Plain is being produced by 2929 Productions, which has been involved in multi-venue releases in the past. The most recent of which was The Answer Man, which was released through Amazon Video on Demand last month before its theatrical debut.
This announcement continues the slow march towards the end of the exclusivity that theaters have enjoyed with movie releases. How fast this march progresses depends on how well these trial balloons far in the eyes of the paying public.
For more information about The Burning Plain, including the plot summary, cast listing, links to the official web site and the Internet Movie Database, and more, please visit the Information Page for the movie.
Source: DirecTV Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.