Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Carmike Wynnsong 16 - Auburn
Add Your Comments
- Covington, LA: Movie Tavern Northshore Opening July 31, 2014 [7/25]
- Youngstown, OH: Cinemark Movies 8 Reopens as Boardman Movies 8 [7/18]
- "The Giver: World Premiere Red Carpet Event" Coming to Select Theaters Ahead of Movie's Release [7/14]
- Lansing, MI: Lansing Mall Gains Regal Cinema, Loses Lansing Mall Cinema [7/11]
- Milwaukee, WI: Avalon Theatre Reopening Delayed [7/11]
- Towson, MD: Cinemark Towson and XD Opens Today [7/10]
- Warner Robins, GA: GTC Parkway 6 Cinemas to Close [7/9]
- Akron, OH: Nightlight Cinema Now Open [7/2]
- Lancaster, OH: Regal River Valley Mall 10 Closed [7/1]
- Beloit, WI: Luxury 10 Cinemas Gets New Owner [6/30]
Carmike Cinemas announced last week that they have signed an agreement to build a 12-screen movie theater in the Capps Landing development in Opelika, Alabama, which is about 60 miles East of Montgomery. It is scheduled to open in Fall 2010.
The new theater will be located at the intersection of I-85 and Highway 280, across from Tiger Town, which the press release identifies as the largest retail center in East Alabama. The Capps Landing development will combine with Tiger Town to offer restaurants, offices, banks, and hotels.
The press release also mentions that the nearby Carmike Wynnsong 16 - Auburn will remain open following the completion of the new theater.
The full press release appears below.
Carmike Cinemas Signs Agreement to Open 12-Plex in Opelika, Alabama
State-Of-The-Art Movie Theatre Slated for Fall 2010 Opening
COLUMBUS, Ga.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Carmike Cinemas, Inc. (NASDAQ: CKEC), a leading digital cinema and 3D motion picture exhibitor, today announced that it has signed a definitive agreement with Stephen Benson, Principal of Blackrock, LLC, to build a 12-screen theatre with 2,600 seats to be located in the Capps Landing development in Opelika, AL. The build-to-suit arrangement features a new Carmike state-of-the-art, digital entertainment complex at the intersection of Interstate 85 and U.S. Highway 280, across from Tiger Town, East Alabama’s largest retail center.
Tiger Town is a 160-acre development featuring 800,000 square feet of retail space, and combined with Capps Landing, offers free-standing restaurants, offices, hotels and banks. Carmike’s other theatre in the region – the Wynnsong 16 at 2111 East University Avenue in Auburn – will remain open following the completion of the new, 12-screen theatre. The new theatre will also serve the nearby Auburn University community, which is home to approximately 24,000 students.
Carmike President and CEO David Passman, stated, “We are grateful for the support of the community of Opelika, Mayor Fuller and local officials for their efforts as we bring a state-of-the-art entertainment complex to the Tiger Town area. Our new theatre complex will bring the best in Hollywood entertainment and the most advanced digital and 3D exhibition technology to East Alabama and will create new jobs both through construction and employment upon its opening, targeted for next Fall.”
About Carmike Cinemas
Carmike Cinemas, Inc. is a U.S. leader in digital cinema and 3D cinema deployments and one of the nation’s largest motion picture exhibitors. As of June 30, 2009, Carmike had 247 theatres with 2,285 screens in 35 states. Carmike’s digital cinema footprint reaches 2,133 screens, including 192 theatres with 499 screens that are also equipped for 3D. Carmike’s focus for its theatre locations is small to mid-sized communities with populations of fewer than 100,000.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.