Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Avatar in 3D 
- Marcus Chicago Heights Cinemas
Chicago Heights, IL
- Marcus Orland Park Cinema
Orland Park, IL
- Marcus Elk River Cinema
Elk River, MN
- Marcus Shakopee Cinema
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Omaha
- Marcus Sheboygan Cinema
- Pleasant Hills, PA: Carmike Southland 9 Closed [8/25]
- New York, NY: Landmark Theatres Plans New 8-Screen Theater [8/24]
- Newark, DE: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Cinemark Christiana and XD [8/23]
- Gainesville, FL: Construction Begins on Regal Cinemas in Celebration Pointe [8/23]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts at Palo Alto Square Closing Delayed Until September [8/18]
- Fort Wayne, IN: Carmike Jefferson Pointe 18 + IMAX Enforcing Curfew [8/18]
- Fort Lee, NJ: iPic Theaters Hudson Lights Opens Tomorrow [8/10]
- Boulder, CO: Boulder Art Cinema Ends After Poor Attendance [7/30]
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
Theaters must like what 3D is doing for them, because we have yet another announcement of more 3D installations! This time, Marcus Theatres has announced that they are adding 3D Digital Cinema Projection capability to the following locations:
First 3D Installation
- Marcus Sheboygan Cinemas in Sheboygan, Wisconsin
- Marcus Chicago Heights Cinemas in Chicago Heights, Illinois
Second 3D Installation
- Marcus Orland Park Cinemas in Orland Park, Illinois
- Marcus Elk River Theatre in Elk River, Minnesota
- Marcus Shakopee Town Square in Shakopee, Minnesota
- Marcus 20 Grand in Omaha, Nebraska
These new installations will be ready for the opening of Avatar 3D, James Cameron’s new 3D movie, on December 18, 2009. According to the press release, Marcus Theatres will offer digital 3D at 32 locations in seven states after these are completed, bringing the chain up to 60% of its first-run locations having digital 3D technology.
"Expanding our digital 3D footprint is part of our growth strategy, as the studios produce more and more digital 3D films. With up to 14 digital 3D films scheduled for release in 2010, this powerful technology is expected to continue to have a positive impact on our box office," said Bruce J. Olson, president of Marcus Theatres.
One of the reasons theaters probably like 3D is that they usually charge a premium for 3D shows. A quick check through some of the Marcus locations that have 3D shows that they charge an additional $3.00 over the regular price of a movie ticket. This amounts to 30% or more of an upcharge, which can be a substantial revenue source if the movies are successful enough to cover the initial installation fee in a short amount of time.
Source: The Marcus Corporation Press Release
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.