Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Brookfield
- Marcus North Shore Cinemas
- AMC Mayfair Mall 18
- Harkins Theatres Offers 2016 "Summer Movie Fun" Series - 10 Movies, 10 Weeks, Less than $1 Per Movie [5/26]
- Summer Kids' Flicks at Southern Theatres Locations [5/26]
- Enjoy Discounted Kid-Friendly Movies at B & B Theatres Summer Kids Series - June-August 2016 [5/26]
- Classic Cinemas Offers $1 Movies in 2016 Summer Movie Series [5/26]
- Enjoy Kids Summer Movies for $1 at Goodrich Quality Theaters [5/26]
- 2016 Summer Kids Series at Carmike Cinemas [5/26]
- $3 Family Movie Series at Select Marcus Theatres in June-August 2016 [5/26]
- Cinemark Announces 2016 "Summer Movie Clubhouse" Series of Kid-Friendly Movies [5/26]
- $1 Family-Friendly Movies During Wherenberg Theatres 2016 Family Summer Series [5/26]
- Scottsdale, AZ: RoadHouse Cinemas - Scottsdale Now Open [5/19]
Back in August, we reported that the AMC Mayfair Mall 18 in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin was getting an IMAX screen, with a scheduled release date of November 6, 2009 for the opening of Disney's A Christmas Carol: An IMAX 3D Experience. The conversion must have gone well, since the new IMAX screen opened for business this weekend!
One of the primary questions I raised about this new installation was how it was going to measure up to traditional IMAX screens as well as the UltraScreens located nearby in Marcus Majestic Brookfield in Waukesha and the Marcus North Shore Cinemas in Mequon. Since there are no traditional IMAX screens within an hour of Milwaukee, the comparison to the UltraScreens are the primary concern for moviegoers considering their options.
Duane Dudek of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had the chance to get some details on the new screen, and states that it measures 50 feet wide by 26 1/2 feet high (1325 sq. ft). To compare, the UltraScreens at Marcus Majestic measure 72' by 31' (2232 sq. ft), which amounts to a difference of 907 sq. ft. That means that the AMC Mayfair Mall 18's IMAX screen is almost 41% smaller than the Marcus UltraScreen.
These screens have different aspect ratios (1.89:1 at Mayfair, 2.35:1 at Majestic), which can account for some of the difference. However, the UltraScreen is still 4.5 feet taller, so any image that Mayfair's IMAX screen can put up, the UltraScreen can do it bigger.
Of course, the picture is just part of the equation. IMAX is quick to tell people that IMAX isn't just about a big picture (probably because the picture isn't all that big anymore), but also a great sound experience as well. Time will tell how the IMAX at Mayfair Mall compares to other theaters, including Mayfair's own THX screens (#8, #9, #17, #18) and Marcus' UltraScreens.
The final comparison, and the easiest one to make, is the cost increase of seeing a movie in a traditional theater and seeing it in the UltraScreen or IMAX. Using today's prices advertised on publicly-available resources for the Majestic, North Shore, and Mayfair Mall, we get the following:
|Theater||Adult Evening||Adult Evening
|Marcus North Shore Cinemas||$9.50||$10.50|
|Marcus Majestic Brookfield||$10.00||$11.00|
|AMC Mayfair Mall 18||$9.50||$13.50|
While seeing a movie at the AMC Mayfair Mall 18 is actually $0.50 cheaper than the Majestic in their regular theaters, seeing a movie in the IMAX screen is going to cost you $2.50 more than going to the UltraScreen at the Majestic. The Marcus North Shore Cinema widens that gap to a full $3.00.
I think AMC missed an opportunity here to provide some real competition to Marcus. Perhaps the screen size was limited by the auditorium that was converted, and a larger screen wasn't possible?
The true test, of course, is the actual movie-going experience. We hope to make a visit soon, but with our Journal Comments and Theater Comments features, you can be heard as well! If you've attended the IMAX at AMC Mayfair Mall 18, let others know what you think!
Please add your comments below if you want to comment on the difference between the IMAX and UltraScreen experiences, and leave a comment on the Reader Comments page for AMC Mayfair Mall 18 and recount your experience at that theater.
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.