Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Century 20 Daly City
Daly City, CA
- Century San Francisco Centre
San Francisco, CA
- Century 25 Union Landing and XD
Union City, CA
Add Your Comments
- Sacramento, CA: Century Arden 14 and XD Opens on Site of Former Century Stadium 14 [12/1]
- West Dundee, IL: Cinemark Spring Hill Mall and XD to Open December 15, 2016 [11/30]
- Chandler, AZ: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Chandler Opens December 2, 2016 [11/30]
- Oak Creek, WI: Marcus Value Cinema - Oak Creek Being Sold to Church [11/30]
- Warren, MI: Cinemark Warren 16 Closed and Will Become an MJR Theatres Location in 2017 [11/28]
- Daytona Beach, FL: Cobb Daytona Luxury 12 Coming in December [11/28]
- Streator, IL: Streator Eagle 6 to Open December 2, 2016 [11/28]
- Marcus Theatres to Acquire All Wehrenberg Theatres Locations [11/21]
- Grand Junction, CO: Movie Theater Opens in Former Carmike 7 Location [11/18]
- Flagstaff, AZ: Harkins Flagstaff 16 Opens, Harkins Flagstaff 11 Closes [11/18]
Cinemark announced Friday that they have completed the conversion of one of the auditoriums at the Century San Francisco Centre in San Francisco, California to their new XD large format.
Moviegoers will be greeted with a large wall-to-wall and ceiling-to-floor screen (of unspecified size), plush seats, and a JBL sound system that has more than 30 speakers. Digital Cinema Projection is being handled by a 30,000 lumen Barco projector with a Doremi server. The new auditorium is also capable of 3D presentations using RealD technology.
"The Cinemark XD experience is very popular with our customers in Dallas and Salt Lake City, where the new technology debuted," comments Alan Stock, Cinemark's Chief Executive Officer. "We are very excited to offer this new extreme digital experience to our guests in San Francisco. The Cinemark XD auditorium offers an environment that engages all of your senses and pulls you into the movie. We exhibit the newest movies every week, including Real D-3D pictures."
According to the press release, two other Bay Area movie theaters will be getting the XD treatment as well. The Century 20 Daly City and Century Union City 25 will be debuting their XD auditoriums in November.
Large-screen installations like these are becoming more popular as audiences are seeing the value in the bigger-screen experience, which IMAX used to have wrapped up but has been diluting at the same time it has grown in the number of movies shown in IMAX theaters. The benefit to these non-IMAX screens is that they can show any movie while IMAX screens are limited to what's available from IMAX at the time. Since the resolution of digital projectors in each are the same, the projected image is most likely going to be the same quality.
Source: Cinemark Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.