Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Cinemark Tinseltown USA - Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs, CO
- Cinemark Tinseltown USA - Jacksonville
- Century 20 Jordan Creek and XD
West Des Moines, IA
- Cinemark at Valley View
Valley View, OH
- Cinemark 20 and XD
Add Your Comments
- Covington, LA: Movie Tavern Northshore Opening July 31, 2014 [7/25]
- Youngstown, OH: Cinemark Movies 8 Reopens as Boardman Movies 8 [7/18]
- "The Giver: World Premiere Red Carpet Event" Coming to Select Theaters Ahead of Movie's Release [7/14]
- Lansing, MI: Lansing Mall Gains Regal Cinema, Loses Lansing Mall Cinema [7/11]
- Milwaukee, WI: Avalon Theatre Reopening Delayed [7/11]
- Towson, MD: Cinemark Towson and XD Opens Today [7/10]
- Warner Robins, GA: GTC Parkway 6 Cinemas to Close [7/9]
- Akron, OH: Nightlight Cinema Now Open [7/2]
- Lancaster, OH: Regal River Valley Mall 10 Closed [7/1]
- Beloit, WI: Luxury 10 Cinemas Gets New Owner [6/30]
Cinemark opened new XD large format screens last week at the Cinemark Tinseltown USA - Colorado Springs in Colorado Springs, Colorado and the Cinemark at Moosic in Moosic, Pennsylvania. Additionally, new auditoriums will open today at the Cinemark Tinseltown USA in Jacksonville, Florida, the Cinemark at Valley View in Valley View, Ohio, and the Century Des Moines Jordan Creek 20 in West Des Moines, Iowa.
As with other recently-opened XD auditoriums recently, moviegoers at each of these locations will be greeted with a large wall-to-wall and ceiling-to-floor screen (of unspecified size), plush seats, and a JBL sound system. Digital Cinema Projection is being handled by a Barco projector.
"The Cinemark XD auditoriums have become very popular with our customers across the nation and now we have the ability to share this new experience with our valued guests in five more cities," comments Alan Stock, Cinemark's Chief Executive Officer. "Each week we will show the newest and biggest 2D and Real D-3D movies in our Cinemark XD auditoriums."
In the Colorado Springs location, there is a $2 upcharge for an adult evening ticket in the XD screen vs. a non-XD screen. Children and Seniors pay an additional $2.25 for the pleasure.
Cinemark opened 15 of their large-screen XD auditoriums in 10 states in 2009. Large-screen installations like these are becoming more popular as audiences are seeing the value in the bigger-screen experience, which IMAX used to have wrapped up but has been diluting at the same time it has grown in the number of movies shown in IMAX theaters. The benefit to these non-IMAX screens is that they can show any movie while IMAX screens are limited to what's available from IMAX at the time. Since the resolution of digital projectors in each are the same, the projected image is most likely going to be the same quality.
Source: Cinemark Press Release
Have you attended a movie in an XD auditorium?
The XD expansion has yet to reach Wisconsin, so we haven't experienced this ourselves, but we welcome any enhancement to movie theaters that improves the moviegoing experience. Please let others know what you thought of the experience by leaving your comments below!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.