Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Marcus College Square
Cedar Falls, IA
- Marcus Sycamore Cinema
Iowa City, IA
- Marcus Addison Cinemas
- Marcus Gurnee Mills Cinema
- Marcus Hastings Cinema
- Marcus Rosemount Theatre
- Marcus West Acres Cinema
- Marcus Twin Creek Cinema
- Marcus South Pointe Cinema
- Marcus Village Pointe Cinema
- Marcus Crosswoods Cinema
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Brookfield
- Marcus Hillside Cinema
- Marcus Green Bay East
Green Bay, WI
- Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas
Menomonee Falls, WI
- Marcus Southgate Cinema
- Marcus Ridge Cinemas
New Berlin, WI
- Marcus Oshkosh Cinema
Add Your Comments
- Indiana, PA: Indiana Mall Cinema Closes, Changes Hands from Carmike to Golden Star Theaters - Set to Open June 12th [5/19]
- Tucson, AZ: Cinemark Announces Plan for 14-Screen Movie Theater at Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges [5/18]
- Tulsa, OK: Cinemark Movies 8 Closed [5/15]
- Pittsburgh, PA: Rave Cinemas Pittsburgh North 11 Closing Tonight [5/14]
- Cinemark Announces 2015 "Summer Movie Clubhouse" Series of Kid-Friendly Movies [5/14]
- Cheektowaga, NY: Movieland 8 Theatre Closed [5/12]
- San Angelo, TX: Icon Cinema Opening in 2015 in Former K-Mart Space [5/11]
- Albuquerque, NM: Icon Cinema to Open Soon in Four Hills Village Shopping Center [5/11]
- Roseville, MI: Silver Cinemas - Macomb Mall Closed [5/8]
- Oxon Hill, MD: AMC Reopens the Former Rivertowne 12 Cinemas [5/5]
Marcus Theatres announced today that they will be increasing their 3D capability with 19 new installations to take place by April 2010. Ten of these installations will be at locations with no previous 3D setups, with the remaining nine at locations that already have at least one 3D installation.
The new systems will be using equipment from RealD, which uses a combination of the digital projector and server, passive glasses (see the image to the left), and a silver screen to create the 3D images that audiences will experience.
"Expanding our digital 3D footprint continues to be a major part of our growth strategy," said Bruce J. Olson, president of Marcus Theatres. "Monster hits like Avatar continue to move digital 3D full-speed ahead as digital 3D movies attract a wide variety of audiences. In fact, digital 3D films have outperformed the corresponding 2D version of the same movie by a factor of two to three times. We expect that digital 3D movies will continue to positively impact the box office as the number of 3D films continues to significantly increase and more 2D movies are being converted to 3D films."
The locations that will be receiving their first 3D installation are:
- Marcus College Square - Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Marcus Sycamore Cinema 12 - Iowa City, Iowa
- Marcus Hastings Theatre - Hastings, Minnesota
- Marcus Rosemount Theatre - Rosemount, Minnesota
- Marcus West Acres 14 - Fargo, North Dakota
- Marcus South Pointe Cinemas - Lincoln, Nebraska
- Marcus Hillside Cinemas - Delafield, Wisconsin
- Marcus Green Bay East - Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Marcus Southgate Cinemas - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Marcus Oshkosh Cinemas - Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Additional 3D installations will be at the following locations:
- Marcus Addison Cinemas - Addison, Illinois
- Marcus Gurnee Cinemas - Gurnee, Illinois
- Marcus Twin Creek Cinema - Bellevue, Nebraska
- Marcus Village Pointe Cinema - Omaha, Nebraska
- Marcus Crosswoods UltraScreen Cinema - Columbus, Ohio
- Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
- Marcus Ridge Cinemas - New Berlin, Wisconsin
- Marcus Majestic Brookfield - Waukesha, Wisconsin
Two digital 3D systems will be installed at Marcus Ridge, bringing the total at that location to three.
The recent box office success of Avatar has raised the awareness of 3D even higher than it was before that movie's release. The fact that most theaters charge an additional fee for 3D shows means that movie studios and theaters alike reap the benefits of 3D movies and the audiences they attract. For instance, Marcus charges an additional $3 on the price of an adult movie ticket for 3D shows at the Marcus Ridge Cinemas location, representing about 31% more ticket revenue per person.
Source: Marcus Theatres Press Release. Thanks to reader Ron H. for sending us this news!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.