Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Baraka 
- The Doors 
- Hamlet 
- Lawrence of Arabia 
- Titanic 
- Tron 
- 2001: A Space Odyssey 
- Castro Theatre
San Francisco, CA
Add Your Comments
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
- Harkins Summer Movie Fun Series - 10 Kids Movies for $7 [6/30]
- Classic Cinemas Offers $1 Movies in 2015 Summer Movie Series [6/30]
- Regal's Summer Movie Express Offers $1 Movies in 2015 [6/30]
- $3 Family Movie Series at Select Marcus Theatres in June-August 2015 [6/30]
- West Carrollton, OH: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Rave Cinemas Dayton South 16 [6/25]
The Castro Theatre in San Francisco, California will be showing 12 films in 70mm in August. The list of films scheduled to be shown are:
8/11: 2001: A Space Odyssey
8/12: Cleopatra (new restored print)
8/13-14: Lawrence of Arabia
8/15: The Razor's Edge
8/18: The Doors
8/19: South Pacific (new restored print)
8/19 (midnight): TRON (new print)
8/22: Playtime (restored print)
8/23: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (new print)
For film fans, this is like the dinner bell ringing after a long day of work, but you may be wondering what the fuss is all about.
70mm refers to the size of the film that is running through the projector when the movie is presented in the theater. This is in contrast to the standard 35mm film that provides the images for most movies shown in theaters today. Classics such as Lawrence of Arabia were shot in 65mm and projected in many theaters in 70mm, and even more recent epics like Titanic were enlarged from 35mm for 70mm projection. The larger film size can provide better clarity and a brighter image, especially on large screens.
Kudos to the Castro Theatre for providing their customers with the ability to see some great movies in a great format! Click the read link for the full schedule of movies playing at the Castro, along with a printable PDF of the 70mm series schedule.
Thanks to Joseph K. for bringing this to our attention!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.