Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Larchmont, NY: Bow Tie Larchmont Playhouse Closed [9/26]
- Allen, TX: Renovations Coming to Cinemark Allen 16 and XD [9/21]
- Danvers, MA: Hollywood Hits Theatre Closed [9/12]
- Chattanooga, TN: Regal Hamilton Place 8 Reopens [9/9]
- Waukee, IA: Proposed Theater Plans Include Largest IMAX Screen in U.S. [9/8]
- San Jose, CA: Camera 12 to Close Friday [9/8]
- Lexington, KY: Cinemark Movies 10 - Woodhill Closed [9/7]
- Oxford, ME: Flagship Cinemas Reopens as Luxury Theater [9/6]
- New York, NY: AMC Announces Reserved Seating at All Manhattan AMC Locations [9/1]
- Pleasant Hills, PA: Carmike Southland 9 Closed [8/25]
The Rheem Theatre in Moraga, California has closed its doors. An article in the Contra Costa Times states that the theater closed after the owners deemed it as not financially viable:
Residents first rallied for the Rheem last November, when co-owners Jim Sheehan and Tom Peterson said revenue was so low they feared it wouldn't stay open through the holiday season.
Led by Chamber of Commerce President Edy Schwartz, the community then went to work, meeting with the owners to create new events such as matinees specifically for mothers with young children or for seniors. A local high school student rallied her peers through a Facebook group, "Don't Let Rheem Theatre Close."
The support was enough to see the theater into the new year, but ultimately the second wind didn't last. Revenues were still down, Peterson said, and it was hard to compete with the 3-D screens at nearby multiplexes.
Peterson said he and Sheehan also knew any major mechanical breakdown could put them out of business permanently. That breakdown happened April 3, when a lamp in the main projector exploded. Not willing or able to pay $10,000 to replace it, Sheehan and Peterson decided to close the Rheem.
Click the Read link below to view the entire article.
The owners of the Rheem still operate the Orinda Theatre nearby. The article mentions that gift certificates for the Rheem Theatre will be honored at the Orinda Theatre.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.