Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Landmark Canal Place Cinema
New Orleans, LA
- The Theatres at Canal Place
New Orleans, LA
- Theatres at Grand Canal Place
New Orleans, LA
- Hamilton, NJ: Grand Opening of Regal Independence Plaza 12 & RPX Scheduled for February 16, 2017 [1/18]
- Arlington, TX: Studio Movie Grill - Arlington Lincoln Square to Open January 19, 2017 [1/16]
- Arlington, TX: Studio Movie Grill - Arlington Lincoln Square to Offer Special-Needs Programs [1/16]
- Cedar Park, TX: AMC Taking Over Former Regal Lakeline Mall 9 [1/12]
- Austin, TX: Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In Planning Move to Buda [1/12]
- More IMAX Installations Coming to Regal Locations [1/11]
- Columbus, OH: Studio Movie Grill - Arena Grand Closed [1/11]
- Roseville, MN: AMC Rosedale 14 Adds Dolby Cinema [1/11]
- Monterey, CA: Cinemark Monterey Cannery Row XD Closed [1/3]
- Bloomington, MN: Theatres at Mall of America Closing December 28, 2016 [12/23]
The Theatres at Canal Place in New Orleans, Louisiana opened its doors last night, May 26, 2010. The theater was previously run by Landmark Theatres as the Landmark Canal Place Cinema and closed in September 2009 after its lease ran out.
According to the press release issued by owner Southern Theatres, LLC., the new theater boasts five screens with a decor that is "inspired by the Art Deco era of the 30s with a contemporary twist." Each auditorium is equipped with a digital cinema projector with 2D and 3D capability (35mm film projection is also possible), stadium seating, and luxurious leather high-backed seats. A call button will summon a waiter/waitress to your seat for drinks and selections from the upscale café and bar -- Chef Adolfo Garcia’s Gusto.
You can view the showtimes for The Theatres at Canal Place and purchase tickets online, right from our site! You will also find a map with directions, news articles, contact information, and more, by visiting the Information Page.
Southern Theatres, LLC. operates 19 locations in nine states, including six in Louisiana (including The Theatres at Canal Place).
The full press release appears below.
The Theatres at Canal Place Opens as Unique, Upscale Movie Experience
May 20, 2010
New Orleans, LA (May 20, 2010) − Décor inspired by the Art Deco era of the 30s with a contemporary twist. State-of-the-art screens, projection and sound. Leather, luxury, high-back movie seats. Flavorful dishes and cocktails delivered to your seat by a waiter. While this description may conjure images of big-city glamour, it is coming soon to New Orleans with the grand opening of The Theatres at Canal Place.
On Wednesday, May 26, 2010, at 10:00 PM (for a midnight showtime), The Theatres at Canal Place, located at 333 Canal Street in the Shops at Canal Place, will open its doors to reveal a $4 million renovation and a movie theatre concept that places New Orleans on equal footing with the likes of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami.
Highly-Amenitized Lobby and Auditoriums
The Theatres' lobby and auditoriums will be highly-amenitized, featuring:
- Auditoriums that resemble private screening rooms;
- High-back, leather auditorium chairs equipped with shared swivel-tables, drink holders, and a call button for in-seat food and beverage service;
- Stadium seating in the auditoriums;
- Superior digital projection with 3D capabilities and premium surround-sound audio;
- An upscale café and premium bar—Chef Adolfo Garcia’s Gusto—located in the theatre for food and beverage service in the lobby’s lounge or in the auditoriums;
- Modern interior by local design firm Chrestia Staub Pierce; and architectural design by Beck Architecture.
- Advanced ticketing and reserved seating online at www.TheTheatres.com or on site (once the theatre opens).
The Theatres at Canal Place will feature newly-released, conventional films, like the opening night, premier showing of Sex and the City 2. True to its heritage (formerly Landmark Canal Place Cinemas), The Theatres will continue to feature independent, foreign, and art films on the marquee, and will honor the venue’s 19-year tradition as a host to the New Orleans Film Festival. The Theatres has retained 35mm projection to accommodate film product that is not digital, as is often the case with independent, art and foreign films.
Chef Adolfo Garcia’s Gusto: The Cinema Café and Bar
Chef Adolfo Garcia sets a new standard for cinema fare with Gusto. Mediterranean small plates and favorite local fare are thoughtfully presented in an upscale café and bar housed in The Theatres’ lobby. A variety of well-selected wines by the glass, Italian sodas, seasonal hand-crafted cocktails and a premium bar are featured. Offerings range from house-cured artisanal salumi from a Mano, house-made hummus and tzatziki served with flatbreads, grilled vegetable and goat cheese panini, and parmesan and black pepper popcorn. Traditional cinema concessions, such as Coke™, popcorn and candy, will be available alongside specialty popcorn and New Orleans treats such as Hubig pies, pralines and specialty chocolates by Southern Candymakers and cookies by Angelo Brocato. Guests can order and enjoy Gusto’s offerings in the lobby’s lounge area, in the auditoriums through in-seat service, on the go while shopping at Canal Place, or for lunch during a downtown workday.
A Movie with Gusto: An Exciting Combination
The Theatres at Canal Place CEO, George Solomon, who, along with his family, has been in the movie theatre business for over 60 years. According to Solomon, “Being able to enjoy a variety of small plates with Chef Adolfo’s Mediterranean dishes and the opportunity to have favorite local treats like Hubig’s pies is what elevates our cinema fare. His well-chosen wine list, seasonal cocktails, and Italian sodas are wonderful amenities for our guests.”
“I wanted to bring this new style of entertainment to New Orleans to celebrate the power of movies and demonstrate my confidence in, and commitment to, the renaissance of this City. I am excited to introduce this new approach to moviegoers in New Orleans. It is taking the experience of enjoying a movie to an entirely new level,” Solomon added.
Chef Adolfo Garcia adds, “I am thrilled to be a part of The Theatres at Canal Place. It makes sense to offer flavorful accompaniments to enhance the cinema and shopping experience. Gusto does this uniquely through Mediterranean-inspired dishes, seasonal cocktails, wine, and some favorite local treats.”
The five auditoriums will seat a total of 330 people. Ticket prices are $8.00 before 6:00 p.m., daily; $10.00 after 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday; and $12.00 after 6:00 p.m., Friday, Saturday and Sunday and holidays. A movie ticket is not required for guests seeking to enjoy only the food and beverage offerings of Chef Adolfo Garcia’s Gusto. However, to enjoy a full-service Gusto experience from your cinema seat, we suggest you arrive 30 minutes before the start of your movie.
The Theatres at Canal Place is set to reopen its doors at 10:00 PM (for a midnight showtime) on Wednesday, May 26, 2010, with the national premier of Sex and the City 2. Starting Thursday, May 27, the Theatres will also feature Greenberg and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Starting May 20, 2010, tickets will be offered for sale on the website www.TheTheatres.com. After the grand opening, tickets will also be available for purchase at The Theatres.
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.