Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- "The Maze Runner" Gets Wider with Extra Screens in "Escape" Theaters [8/29]
- Waynesville, MO: B & B Waynesville Patriot 12 & GS Opens August 29, 2014, Waynesville Cinema 8 Closed [8/28]
- Indianapolis, IN: Cinemark Washington Market 8 Closed [8/28]
- Streator, IL: Majestic Theatre Closed, Up For Sale [8/26]
- Frostburg, MD: R/C Theatres Closes R/C Cinemas 1-2-3, Employees Launch Effort to Reopen [8/25]
- Teicher Theatres Closes All Locations [8/25]
- Santa Monica, CA: Watch the Extended Versions of All Three LOTR Movies at the Aero Theatre on August 30, 2014 [8/21]
- Lodi, CA: Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas Temporarily Closed for Bedbugs [8/20]
- Hollywood, CA: World Premiere of "If I Stay" on August 20, 2014 at Chinese Theatre [8/20]
- Carmike Completes Acquisition of Digital Cinema Destinations Corp. [8/19]
According to an article in the Community Impact Newspaper, Cinemark has received incentives from the city of Pflugerville, Texas to open a movie theater in the Stone Hill Town Center by Summer 2011:
Mayor Jeff Coleman said Cinemark originally planned to open by 2012 at the earliest, but under the incentive agreement, the theater is required to open by May 31, 2011.
City Attorney Floyd Akers said the company will receive a rebate equal to the amount of property taxes collected on the site for the first five years—up to $100,000—and another equal to the amount of sales tax collected by the theater for the first five years, up to $200,000. The theater is estimated to provide $18,000 in property tax revenue and an anticipated $40,000 in sales tax annually.
“Over five years, they can get $300,000 total,” Akers said.
The city also plans to waive the cost of the theater’s building permit. Akers said Cinemark has already filed plans with the city and is beginning to move forward on the project.
“The reason we were willing to offer incentives was we were not going to be receiving any revenue if they weren’t here anyway,” Coleman said. “So we made the decision that it was better to not receive revenue for that short time period and have them here than to not receive the revenue and not have them here.”
Click the Read link below to view the entire article.
Cinemark already has a movie theater nearby, the Cinemark Tinseltown USA Pflugerville, about 6 miles West, near I-35.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.