Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- 2015 Academy Award Winners [2/22]
- Vista, CA: Krikorian MetroPlex 15 at Vista Village Changes Owners, Now the Cinépolis USA - Vista [2/19]
- Pico Rivera, CA: Krikorian Pico Rivera Village Walk 15 Changes Owners, Now the Cinépolis USA - Pico Rivera [2/19]
- Los Angeles World Premiere of "Focus" on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 [2/19]
- Bloomington, IL: Carmike Ovation Cinema 10 Now Open [2/18]
- Joliet, IL: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [2/11]
- Yulee, FL: Grand Opening for Carmike Coastal Cinemas 10 Scheduled for February 13, 2015 [2/11]
- Midlothian, VA: Carmike 10 - Richmond Reopening in March as Carmike Ovation 10 [2/11]
- Seattle, WA: Varsity Theatre Reopens February 13, 2015 [2/11]
- Canton, IL: Garden Theatre Closed [1/30]
Cinemark Holdings, Inc. announced this week that it opened two new "XD" big-screen auditoriums: one each in Lakewood, Colorado and Cypress, Texas. XD is Cinemark's answer to IMAX in that it offers customers a larger screen, bigger sound, and other amenities, in exchange for an additional surcharge on the admission price.
The Century Lakewood Bel Mar 16 in Lakewood, Colorado and the Cinemark 12 Cypress in Cypress, Texas had an auditorium converted to house the wall-to-wall screen and the new sound system. The Lakewood XD installation opened to the public on May 21st, and the Cypress XD screen welcomed its first visitors today, according to the press release from Cinemark. The ticket pricing information at the Cypress, Texas location showed a $3.75 upcharge for an adult to see an evening show in the XD screen versus one of the non-XD screens. Kids and Seniors pay an extra $3.
As is usual, we identify which showtimes are in the XD screens at these theaters. Just go to the showtimes page for either theater (click on the links above or in the sidebar to the right), and you will see a note beneath the showtimes that identifies the shows in the XD auditorium. This information is provided by the theater, so if you don't see it, contact the theater ask them for that information (if enough people ask, they'll remember to include it in their showtimes!).
These installations are the latest in a string of such upgrades for Cinemark. As long as audiences continue to react positively, and Cinemark continues to enjoy upcharges of 45% or more, I think we'll see more XD screens in the future!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.