Remove ads with our VIP Service
- ArcLight Cinemas - Culver City
Culver City, CA
- Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza 15 + Xtreme
Los Angeles, CA
Add Your Comments
- Culver City, CA: Pacific Culver Stadium 12 Closed for Conversion to ArcLight Cinemas Location [3/26]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Closing [3/24]
- Casper, WY: Studio City Mesa to Open March 27th, Downton Iris Stadium 8 Closed [3/23]
- Vineyard, UT: Megaplex Theatres - Geneva & IMAX Now Open [3/20]
- Cleveland Heights, OH: Regal Severance Town Center Stadium 14 Closed [3/20]
- Lawrenceville, GA: GTC Town Center Value Cinemas Closed [3/18]
- Queen Creek, AZ: Harkins Queen Creek 14 Opening March 19, 2015 [3/16]
- Los Angeles, CA: 9-Screen Cinemark Playa Vista and XD Now Open [3/13]
- Nicholasville, KY: AmStar 14 - Brannon Crossing to Become Movie Tavern Location in June 2015 [3/12]
- Lewiston, ME: Flagship Cinemas Closed [3/12]
The AMC Magic Johnson Crenshaw 15 in Los Angeles, California will close on Monday, June 14, 2010 for a makeover that includes stadium seating, new amenities, digital technology, 3D screens, new decor, and a new operator. The announcement was made today by Capri Urban Investors, LLC, the company that owns the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza shopping center where the theater is located.
"We are thrilled to be bringing in a new theater operator at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza," said Ken Lombard, Partner and President of Capri Urban Investors, LLC. "We are currently finalizing a new contract with an operator that truly understands Los Angeles, the urban marketplace, and has an absolute commitment to delivering the best movie experience you'll find anywhere. Transforming the mall is about giving shoppers more choices and better amenities, and having a new state-of-the-art multiplex is an important step in that direction."
The press release mentions that the mall is getting a makeover as well, which is due to be completed by the holiday season in 2011. It's possible that the theater will be closed until that time.
I could not find information about when the movie theater opened, but it was the first theater opened by Magic Johnson. (One source I found shows that Magic Johnson Theatres began in 1994) He issued the following statement about the closing of the Crenshaw 15:
"I am deeply saddened to learn of AMC's decision to close the Magic Johnson Theatre at Crenshaw Baldwin Hills Mall. AMC purchased the Magic Johnson Theatres several years ago. This was my first theatre, so a piece of me will definitely close with it. I want to thank the community for their support and loyalty over the years. The theatre has truly been the heartbeat of that community. Magic Johnson Enterprises will continue to bring high quality entertainment, products and services to those communities we serve every day."
The nearest theater to the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza appears to be the Pacific Culver Stadium 12 in Culver City, about four miles away.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.