Remove ads with our VIP Service
- AMC Burbank 16
Add Your Comments
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Theatres Takes Over Former Regal Glen 10 Location [11/18]
- Hornell, NY: Movie Theater to Reopen in December [11/18]
- West Valley City, UT: Carmike Ritz 15 - Hollywood Connection Closed [11/17]
- St. Charles, MO: AMC Streets of St Charles 8 Opening November 17, 2014 [11/14]
- Glenview, IL: Regal Glen 10 Closed [11/4]
- North Little Rock, AR: Cinemark Tandy Movies 10 Closed [11/4]
- Cincinnati, OH: The Screens at Cincinnati Mall Opens in Former Danbarry Dollar Saver - Cincinnati Mills Site [10/24]
- Aurora, CO: Aurora Movie Tavern Debuts New Amenities [10/24]
- El Monte, CA: Edwards El Monte 8 Closed [10/24]
- Neil Patrick Harris Announced as Host of 2015 Academy Awards Ceremony [10/15]
AMC Entertainment announced recently that they have expanded their original agreement with the IMAX Corporation to add up to 25 more installations of IMAX theaters.
The original agreement included 104 IMAX screens, and the press release mentions that 79 are in operation, with the remaining 25 expected to open before the end of the year. The companies intend to open 15-25 additional IMAX installations in 2011 in locations where they already have an IMAX screen as well as where they do not.
"We are pleased to expand our relationship with IMAX, a valued partner in offering our guests the best out-of-home entertainment experience," said Gerry Lopez, CEO and president, AMC. "Our guests clearly choose to see movies in our IMAX auditoriums because the experience is unparalleled in terms of sight and sound, and it continues to be the premium offering in our portfolio of moviegoing options. We are proud to continue being the largest exhibitor partner of IMAX, and we are committed to providing our guests with the best choices in moviegoing."
There's no mention about whether the new IMAX screens will be any bigger than the ones that have been built so far. Last May, comedian and actor Aziz Ansari complained in a very public manner about seeing Star Trek: The IMAX Experience at the AMC Burbank 16 & IMAX in Burbank, California and was very disappointed that the screen was not the huge size that he had come to expect when seeing the IMAX brand. That screen measured 63' wide by 37' high, which is a far cry from the typical 72' wide by 53' high dimensions of the traditional IMAX theaters that built the IMAX brand.
The publicity which resulted from this caused IMAX to do some damage control and some fans created web sites using such terms as "liemax" and "minimax" to describe the smaller IMAX screens.
We can only hope that AMC and IMAX is learning from their past mistakes and putting in some screens worthy of whatever is left of the IMAX brand. With Cinemark, Regal Cinemas, Marcus Theatres, and even AMC releasing big-screen alternatives to IMAX, we think it's important for IMAX to step up their game and do more to earn the upcharges that come with "The IMAX Experience."
Source: AMC Entertainment Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.