Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- AMC BarryWoods 24
Kansas City, MO
Add Your Comments
- Albuquerque, NM: Flix Brewhouse - Albuquerque Opens [12/7]
- Bethesda, MD: Regal Bethesda 10 Closing December 15, 2016 [12/7]
- Houston, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Vintage Park Sold to Star Cinema Grill [12/7]
- Lawrenceville, GA: Grand Opening for Carmike Ovation Cinema Grill 11 on December 8, 2016 [12/6]
- Sacramento, CA: Century Arden 14 and XD Opens on Site of Former Century Stadium 14 [12/1]
- West Dundee, IL: Cinemark Spring Hill Mall and XD to Open December 15, 2016 [11/30]
- Chandler, AZ: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Chandler Opens December 2, 2016 [11/30]
- Oak Creek, WI: Marcus Value Cinema - Oak Creek Being Sold to Church [11/30]
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Damaged by Rain - Closed Temporarily [11/30]
- Warren, MI: Cinemark Warren 16 Closed and Will Become an MJR Theatres Location in 2017 [11/28]
Last weekend marked the first time that moviegoers in Kansas City, Missouri could enjoy AMC's new big-screen concept, AMC Enhanced Theatre Experience (ETX™), at the AMC BarryWoods 24. ETX offers a large screen, digital cinema projection with 3D capability, and an upgraded sound system.
"We are proud to offer our ETX concept at one of our theatres in our hometown," said John McDonald, executive vice president, [AMC] U.S. operations "With the upgraded screen and sound system, in addition to the premium viewing experience digital cinema offers, we believe our guests at AMC BarryWoods 24 will walk away with a new perception of how movies should be delivered."
As is typical for ETX as well as big-screen concepts from Cinemark (XD), Regal Cinemas (RPX), and Marcus Theatres (UltraScreen), there is an upcharge for seeing a movie in the ETX-equipped auditorium. The press release mentions an additional fee of between $2 - $5, depending on the title and format.
The ETX addition to the BarryWoods 24 is interesting also for the fact that this location also has an IMAX screen, which is a competitive format for ETX and the other big-screen concepts. I couldn't find any specific information on the size of the IMAX screen there, but the IMAX web site identifies it as a Multiplex design, which means that the screen is somewhere between 47'x24' and 74'x46', and it uses a digital projection system. The Multiplex design was created by IMAX so that theaters could retrofit an IMAX installation into a current auditorium, while making changes to the screen position, seating, and sound and projection system. Currently, they are playing Inception: The IMAX Experience in the IMAX screen and Salt in the ETX screen, so a direct comparison of the same movie in each screen is not possible.
The new installation is a first for Kansas City and only the eighth of its kind so far. ETX is currently available at the following additional locations:
- AMC Pleasure Island 24 - Orlando, Florida
- AMC Burbank 16 - Burbank, California
- AMC Century City 15 - Los Angeles
- AMC Northpark 15 - Dallas, Texas
- AMC Loews Metreon 16 - San Francisco, California
- AMC Forum 22 - Montreal, Quebec
- AMC Yonge & Dundas 24 - Toronto, Ontario
Source: AMC Entertainment, Inc. Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.