Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 
- Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 
- Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 
- Star Wars: A New Hope - Special Edition 
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Special Edition 
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Special Edition 
Add Your Comments
- High-Def Digest Goes Hands-On with a Pioneer Dolby Atmos Sound System [9/30]
- Integra Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Onkyo Delivers Firmware Update to Enable Dolby Atmos [9/30]
- Denon Announces New X-Series Network A/V Receivers, Dolby Atmos Support [7/24]
- Dolby Publishes More Information About Home Version of Dolby Atmos [6/28]
- Yamaha Elevates Premium AVENTAGE AV Receivers with Next Gen Features Including Dolby Atmos® [6/25]
- Onkyo Announces High-End and Mid-Range A/V Components with Dolby Atmos Sound [6/23]
- Integra High-End and Mid-Range A/V Components to support Dolby Atmos [6/23]
- Dolby Announces Availability of Dolby Atmos in the Home [6/23]
- A Product That Redefines a Backyard Home Theater Project [1/29]
LucasFilm and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment announced today at the "Star Wars Celebration V" fan convention that the six movies that comprise the Star Wars saga will be coming to the high definition Blu-ray format in Fall 2011!
According to the press release (included below), the Star Wars Blu-ray Box Set will feature all six live-action Star Wars movies, along with extensive special features, including documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives, and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives.
"Blu-ray is the absolute best way to experience Star Wars at home – in pristine high definition," said George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars Saga. "The films have never looked or sounded better."
Fans at the convention got to see a deleted scene from Return of the Jedi, which is included below:
According to an article on Engadget, Lucas told the New York Times that only the Special Editions of Episodes IV, V, and VI will be included, as it would have been too expensive to restore the original theatrical versions. My foot. Lucas has always said that the Special Editions are the only versions of those movies in his mind, and this is further evidence that he does not wish fans to have high quality versions of the original theatrical releases.
Even though some might see a release of the theatrical versions as a double-dip, I think that such a release would be very welcomed by fans of the Star Wars saga. Lucas could also use the original versions as a teaching tool to show how he changed certain scenes for the Special Edition and why. Die-hard fans would gladly pay to have those original versions available, most likely even at a price premium. Few titles can command a premium price, but I believe that those could without much of an issue.
For the First Time Ever, the Force Will Be with You on Blu-ray! Highly Anticipated Complete Star Wars™ Saga Readied for High Definition Blu-ray Debut
August 14, 2010
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today at Star Wars Celebration V, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced that the complete Star Wars Saga will come to Blu-ray Disc with a worldwide release in Fall 2011. The Star Wars Blu-ray Box Set will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with extensive special features – including documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives.
“The films have never looked or sounded better.”
“Blu-ray is the absolute best way to experience Star Wars at home – in pristine high definition,” said George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars Saga. “The films have never looked or sounded better.”
ABOUT STAR WARS CELEBRATION V
Featuring celebrities, costumes, live entertainment, screenings, autographs, collectibles, panels and much, much more, Star Wars Celebration V is THE official Lucasfilm convention - and the biggest Star Wars party in the galaxy! Taking place in Orlando, FL from August 12-15, Star Wars Celebration V commemorates the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and the ongoing, weekly adventures of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
ABOUT TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.
Lucasfilm, STAR WARS™ and related properties are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. TM & © Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.