Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Admiral Twin Drive-In
- Stafford, VA: Regal Aquia 10 Closed [10/21]
- Brooklyn, NY: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Downtown Brooklyn Opening October 28, 2016 [10/19]
- Kapolei, HI: Luxury Movie Theater Opening at Ka Makana Ali'i on October 21, 2016 [10/17]
- J.K. Rowling Says There Will Be Five "Fantastic Beasts" Movies [10/13]
- Oak Brook, IL: AMC Oakbrook Center 12 Opens [10/13]
- Abingdon, VA: Moonlite Drive-In Theatre Plans Revival [10/10]
- Pikesville, MD: Pikes Theatre Closed [10/9]
- Goodyear, AZ: Harkins Estrella Falls 16 Opening October 13, 2016 [10/4]
- Country Club Hills, IL: Marcus Country Club Hills Cinema To Open October 14, 2016 [10/4]
- New York, NY: iPic Theaters at Fulton Market - South Street Seaport Opens October 7, 2016 [10/4]
The screens for the Admiral Twin Drive-In in Tulsa, Oklahoma were destroyed by fire on September 3, 2010. The screens were housed in a wooden structure, which was engulfed in flames, with the smoke obstructing the freeway nearby.
Below is video footage shot by someone on the freeway as the screen tower burned:
Radio station KMOD has a story about the fire, and about efforts that are underway to help the theater rebuild. Owner/operator Blake Smith was initially pessimistic about rebuilding the theater, citing a possible $300,000 cost to replace the screens, but an update to the story says that they will try to rebuild and interested parties may donate to the cause.
News site Tulsa World has an article as well as some photos and video coverage of the fire and an interview with Blake Smith. A follow-up story talks about the possibility of the theater being rebuilt.
The blog Route 66 News has some additional photos of the wreckage left behind after the fire. They also have links to some of the efforts underway to help the theater rebuild.
Donations can be sent to: Attention Admiral Twin Drive-In / Select Cinemas. Security Bank P.O. Box 1165 Jenks, OK 74037
The movie theater was built in 1951 and was featured in the 1983 movie The Outsiders, which coincidentally, was scheduled to be shown at the theater's final weekend of the season this coming weekend.
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.