Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Landmark Cinemas 24 Kanata
- Cineplex Odeon - Courtney Park Cinemas
- Cineplex Odeon - Yonge & Dundas Cinemas
- Landmark Cinemas 24 Whitby
Add Your Comments
- Fort Worth, TX: Luxury AMC Movie Theater Coming to The Shops at Clearfork [3/28]
- Warren, MI: MJR Universal Grand Cinema 16 Expected to Open April 7, 2017 [3/22]
- Gibsonton, FL: Goodrich Riverview 14 GDX Now Open [3/21]
- Hilliard, OH: Movie Tavern - Mill Run Closing April 9, 2017 [3/10]
- Fernandina Beach, FL: B & B Theaters Amelia Island 7 Opens in Former Carmike Island 7 Space [3/10]
- Chicago, IL: Chatham 14 Theaters Becomes Studio Movie Grill - Chatham [3/8]
- Fallston, MD: Fallston Movies Opens March 9, 2017 [3/8]
- Omaha, NE: Dundee Theatre Staging a Comeback [3/7]
- Omaha, NE: Marcus Midtown Cinema Closing? [3/7]
- Doral, FL: Cobb CinéBistro at CityPlace Doral to Open March 17, 2017 [3/7]
AMC Theatres is opening four new IMAX theaters in Toronto and Ottawa, Canada today, according to a press release issued by the company. Guests visiting AMC Courtney Park 16, AMC Whitby 24, and AMC Yonge & Dundas 24 in the Toronto area and AMC Kanata 24 in Ottawa will be able to enjoy Paranormal Activity 2: An IMAX Experience as the first movie being shown in the new theaters.
The new IMAX installations will be using IMAX Digital projection systems, which use dual projectors to fill the IMAX screen. Whereas IMAX film is substantially larger than traditional 35mm film, the projectors used in Digital IMAX are the same 2K resolution as most digital cinema-equipped movie theaters. Two projectors are used to increase the brightness of the image, but the resolution is not any higher (and is less than non-IMAX theaters equipped with Sony 4K projectors). The one thing that we have found that IMAX theaters have going for them is that the sound systems are much better than those found in most traditional movie theater auditoriums.
Along with the bigger screen and bigger sound, comes a bigger ticket price. At the Ottawa location, tickets for an adult to attend the IMAX version of Paranormal Activity 2 will cost $5 more than for the traditional version (nearly 40% over the adult evening ticket price). For that kind of money, you may want to ask some questions at the theater about just how much larger the screen is in the IMAX theater (some aren't very big) before you plunk down that extra money!
The opening of the IMAX auditoriums at these AMC locations is part of a joint-venture agreement by AMC and IMAX to install more than 115 IMAX digital projection systems at AMC locations in major U.S. markets and Canada.
While we don't currently list the showtimes for any theaters in Canada, it's easy enough to go to their Showtimes page and click on the "Search for Showtimes" link, which will take you to our partner web site for showtimes and online ticket purchases! Just click on the theater name above and find your showtimes!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.