Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Carmike Riverstone 15
- Carmike 15
- Carmike Majestic 12
- Carmike Thoroughbred 20
Add Your Comments
- Indiana, PA: Indiana Mall Cinema Closes, Changes Hands from Carmike to Golden Star Theaters - Set to Open June 12th [5/19]
- Tucson, AZ: Cinemark Announces Plan for 14-Screen Movie Theater at Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges [5/18]
- Tulsa, OK: Cinemark Movies 8 Closed [5/15]
- Pittsburgh, PA: Rave Cinemas Pittsburgh North 11 Closing Tonight [5/14]
- Cinemark Announces 2015 "Summer Movie Clubhouse" Series of Kid-Friendly Movies [5/14]
- Cheektowaga, NY: Movieland 8 Theatre Closed [5/12]
- San Angelo, TX: Icon Cinema Opening in 2015 in Former K-Mart Space [5/11]
- Albuquerque, NM: Icon Cinema to Open Soon in Four Hills Village Shopping Center [5/11]
- Roseville, MI: Silver Cinemas - Macomb Mall Closed [5/8]
- Oxon Hill, MD: AMC Reopens the Former Rivertowne 12 Cinemas [5/5]
Following the trail blazed by pioneer IMAX and early settlers Marcus Theatres, AMC, Cinemark, and others, Carmike Cinemas has jumped into the big-screen concept game with today's launch of "The BigD Experience" at the Carmike Thoroughbred 20 in Franklin, Tennessee.
According to the press release, the re-designed auditorium will have a wall-to-wall screen that measures "78 feet wide and over three stories tall" (which should mean that it is about 30 feet tall). A 7.1 channel surround sound system will support the Digital Cinema projection system that will be capable of 2D and 3D presentations. Stadium seating with plush leather high-back rocking seats round out the new viewing experience.
A private VIP grand opening event is being held tonight at 7:30pm, which is an invitation-only event that will include celebrity guests, community leaders, and the President and CEO of Carmike Cinemas. The first movie to be shown in the "BigD Experience" will be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 tonight at Midnight.
Along with the Bigger Picture Comes a Bigger Ticket Price
As is the custom with the other big-screen offerings out there, Carmike will be asking for more of your money when you want to see a movie in a "BigD" auditorium. According to their ticketing information, they are adding a $2 surcharge onto the price of adult and child tickets, which isn't as much as some of the others. Whether that upcharge is worth it is going to be a matter of personal experience, at least until the Reader Comments start rolling in.
If you've seen a movie in a "BigD Experience" auditorium, what did you think? Was it worth the hype, much less the ticket upcharge? How does it compare to IMAX in your opinion? Leave your comments below!
More BigD Locations Coming
Carmike plans more "BigD Experience" locations by the end of 2011, but no locations were specifed in the press release. Their web site does mention that the Carmike Riverstone 15 in Canton, Georgia and Carmike Majestic 12 in Chattanooga, Tennessee are next in line for "The BigD Experience."
Update: A closer look at the Carmike web site shows that the Carmike 15 in Columbus, Georgia was upgraded with "The BigD Experience" in July 2010. While that takes some of the air out of our headline, the rest of the information is still relevant...
Carmike Cinemas owns and/or operates 241 locations in 36 states.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.