Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Newton Theatre
- AMC Rockaway 16
- AmericanPlace Sparta Theatres
- Bow Tie Succasunna Cinema 10
Add Your Comments
- Yulee, FL: Carmike Cinemas to Build 10-Screen Theater [4/22]
- Mount Lebanon, PA: Newly Renovated Carmike Galleria 6 Set to Open April 25, 2014 [4/18]
- Lansing, IL: Digiplex to Acquire Lansing Cinema 8 [4/9]
- Milwaukee, WI: Watch "The Wizard of Oz" with a Live Orchestra [4/8]
- Milwaukee, WI: New Sign Proposed for Avalon Theatre, July 2014 Opening Planned [3/31]
- Los Angeles, CA: Regency Village Theatre to Host Los Angeles Premiere of "Trancscendence" [3/26]
- Bel Air, MD: Flagship Cinemas - Churchville Sold to Digiplex [3/24]
- San Diego, CA: Digiplex Mission Valley Becomes UltraStar Location Again [3/18]
- Aurora, CO: AMC Debuts "Red Kitchen" Dining Concept at AMC Southlands 16 [3/11]
- Franklin, TN: IMAX Opens at Carmike Thoroughbred 20 [3/10]
The historic Newton Theatre in Newton, New Jersey closed at the end of September 2010, according to an article in the New Jersey Herald:
Pure economics, including consumers' desire for movie options and 3D capability and the cost of showing first-run films at their release date, led to the closure of the historic Newton Theater last week, its operator said.
Built in the 1920s, the two-screen theater consistently advertised movies on its classic marquee, at $7 per ticket, until big black letters announced "Theatre Closed" on Friday.
"It's a real shame," operator Nelson Page, of Teaneck. "People from the town have always supported the theater."
But a lack of popularity from outside the town's borders took its toll.
"After 14 years, I could see the handwriting on the wall," he said. "We have a very large theater to the north in Middletown (N.Y.) and one to the south at the (Rockaway) mall. That siphoned away the regional aspect of the theater."
Click the Read link below to read the full article.
Moviegoers in Newton now will need to travel a little bit to watch a movie in a theater. The nearest theater is AmericanPlace Sparta Theatres in Sparta, followed by the Clearview's Succasunna Cinema 10 in Succasunna and AMC Rockaway 16 in Rockaway (about 14-15 miles away).
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.