Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- iPic Theaters at Scottsdale Quarter
- iPic Theaters at One Colorado Pasadena
- iPic Theaters at The Promenade Bolingbrook
- iPic Theaters at The Arboretum of South Barrington
South Barrington, IL
- iPic Theaters at The Domain Austin
- iPic Theaters at The Village at Fairview
- iPic Theaters at Redmond Town Center
- iPic Theatres at Bayshore Town Center
Add Your Comments
- Scranton, PA: Iron Horse Movie Bistro Opening April 28, 2017 [4/25]
- Andalusia, AL: Clark Theatres - Andalusia Cinema Now Open [4/14]
- New York, NY: Quad Cinema Reopens After Renovation Project [4/14]
- Laramie, WY: Studio City UW + ARQ Opening on April 28, 2017 [4/13]
- Mobile, AL: Crescent Theater to Close [4/11]
- Dallas, OR: Motor Vu Drive-In Not Reopening for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Stanton, KY: Mountain View Drive-In Will Not Reopen for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Arlington, TX: Cinemark at Former Six Flags Mall Closes [4/10]
- Shakopee, MN: Grand Opening of Marcus Southbridge Crossing Cinema Planned for April 13, 2017 [4/8]
- Select AMC and Carmike Locations Transferred to New Vision Theatres [4/7]
This news escaped our view when it happened, but better late than never, right? In September, Village Roadshow Ltd. announced that Village Roadshow Gold Class Cinemas LLC. sold its Gold Class Cinemas to IPic Entertainment. A new company has been formed, IPic-Gold Class Entertainment LLC, which appears to be the parent to all the Gold Class Cinemas and IPic Entertainment locations in the United States.
According to a press release issued on September 20, 2010 by Village Roadshow Limited in Australia, the financial performance of Gold Class USA "has been disappointing from the outset" and that IPic Entertainment will reconfigure existing Gold Class Cinemas to add more seats and reduce prices.
I visited the Gold Class Cinemas - South Barrington in South Barrington, Illinois in May 2009, and found the experience to be akin to flying first-class. The seating was comfortable, the food was very good, but the prices were higher than I would imagine a large number of people are willing to pay for a movie. Their current pricing for an adult evening ticket is $25, which seems cheaper than I remember paying when I visited, but still high.
In May 2008, I visited the IPic Theatres at Bayshore Town Center in Glendale, Wisconsin. In my Reader Comments about the theater, I noted that the seats were a little too far away and a little too low for the positioning of the screen in the theater we were in. Changes may have been made since then, but I have not returned to the theater to find out.
It would seem that there might be a middle ground for the new Gold Class Cinemas to strike between what they were doing, and what other chains are doing with their upscale "VIP" movie experiences. The IPic location in Wisconsin has an adult evening price of $16 for VIP seating, and I would imagine that it is this model that the company will be using going forward. A few miles North, the Marcus North Shore Cinemas in Mequon has VIP seating in their large UltraScreen auditorium, and they charge $16, which includes a $5.50 voucher for food and drinks. The Marcus offering is reserved seating with larger chairs and seatside service, but not to the same level as what I've seen in the IPic and Gold Class locations.
The September press release also mentioned that the new company plans to pursue opening new locations with the new configuration over the next 3-5 years. The first of those is the IPic Theaters at Scottsdale Quarter in Scottsdale, Arizona, which is scheduled to open on December 17, 2010.
Source: Village Roadshow Limited Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.