Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Carmike Riverstone 15
Add Your Comments
- Stafford, VA: Regal Aquia 10 Closed [10/21]
- Brooklyn, NY: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Downtown Brooklyn Opening October 28, 2016 [10/19]
- Kapolei, HI: Luxury Movie Theater Opening at Ka Makana Ali'i on October 21, 2016 [10/17]
- J.K. Rowling Says There Will Be Five "Fantastic Beasts" Movies [10/13]
- Oak Brook, IL: AMC Oakbrook Center 12 Opens [10/13]
- Abingdon, VA: Moonlite Drive-In Theatre Plans Revival [10/10]
- Pikesville, MD: Pikes Theatre Closed [10/9]
- Goodyear, AZ: Harkins Estrella Falls 16 Opening October 13, 2016 [10/4]
- Country Club Hills, IL: Marcus Country Club Hills Cinema To Open October 14, 2016 [10/4]
- New York, NY: iPic Theaters at Fulton Market - South Street Seaport Opens October 7, 2016 [10/4]
Carmike Cinemas has opened another big-screen concept auditorium they call "The BigD Experience" at the Carmike Riverstone 15 in Canton, Georgia. This is Carmike's third "BigD" installation, after their first in July 2010 at the Carmike 15 in Columbus, Georgia and most recently, the Carmike Thoroughbred 20 in Franklin, Tennessee (Read Journal article). Carmike is following the trail blazed by pioneer IMAX and early settlers Marcus Theatres, AMC, Cinemark, and others.
The new auditorium opened December 17, 2010 with showings of Tron Legacy in Disney Digital 3D, providing audiences with a larger screen, an upgraded sound system, and luxurious seating. The screen measures 78 feet wide and "over three stories tall" which should amount to about 30 feet. The sound system is capable of 7.1 channels coming from the digital cinema projection setup, which can present 2D and 3D features. Six 21-inch subwoofers help with the low-end rumble and boom.
Along with the Bigger Picture Comes a Bigger Ticket Price
As is the custom with the other big-screen offerings out there, Carmike will be asking for more of your money when you want to see a movie in a "BigD" auditorium. According to their ticketing information, they are adding a $2 surcharge onto the price of adult and child tickets, which isn't as much as some of the other bigscreen offerings. Whether that upcharge is worth it is going to be a matter of personal experience, at least until the Reader Comments start rolling in.
If you've seen a movie in a "BigD Experience" auditorium, what did you think? Was it worth the hype, much less the ticket upcharge? How does it compare to IMAX in your opinion? Leave your comments below!
More BigD Locations Coming
Carmike plans more "BigD Experience" locations by the end of 2011, but no locations were specifed in the press release. Their web site does mention that the Carmike Majestic 12 in Chattanooga, Tennessee is next in line for "The BigD Experience."
Carmike Cinemas owns and/or operates 240 locations in 36 states.
Source: Carmike Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.