Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Carmike Coventry 8
Add Your Comments
- Buffalo, NY: North Park Theatre to Reopen March 7, 2014 [3/4]
- 2014 Academy Award Winners [3/2]
- Milwaukee, WI: Avalon Theatre Planning June 2014 Opening [2/27]
- St. Joseph, MO: Screenland Plaza 8 Closing March 2, 2014 [2/27]
- Saint Charles, IL: Improvements Coming to Classic Cinemas Charlestowne 18 [2/26]
- Fort Collins, CO: Cinemark Coming to Foothills Mall [2/26]
- Glen Burnie, MD: UA Marley Station 8 Closed [2/26]
- Willoughby Hills, OH: Big Cinemas Phoenix Willoughby Hills Closed [2/24]
- Ridgefield, CT: Prospector Theater Offers Movies Ahead of Its Opening [2/24]
- Largo, FL: AMC Tri-City 8 Closed January 19, 2014 [2/17]
Carmike Cinemas announced last week that they intend to build a 12-screen, 2330-seat movie theater in the Upland Square Shopping Center in West Pottsgrove Township near Pottstown, Pennsylvania. The theater is slated to be open by the end of 2011, and will feature one of Carmike's big-screen concept "The BigD Digital Experience" auditoriums.
Carmike President and CEO David Passman stated, “Carmike Cinemas is delighted to be expanding in this market. We have found a partner who has the ability to build a new state-of-the-art entertainment complex for The Upland Square Shopping Center. In addition to the best possible moviegoing experience for the community, Carmike’s use of DIGITAL technology will also enable us to show live and recorded sporting events and concerts, with most being shown in Real-D 3-D.”
“The BIG-D” is a totally re-designed premium auditorium that includes a wall-to-wall screen measuring 78 feet wide and over three stories tall, the latest in 7.1 DIGITAL surround sound and DIGITAL projection for both 2-D and 3-D features. In technical terms, Carmike’s BIG-D DIGITAL experience is powered by a cutting-edge Christie Brilliant 3-D flash projector. Images are projected onto the colossal wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor screen. The end result is a light output of 30,000 lumens, creating a picture quality with noticeably higher resolution than HD.
To further enhance the experience, the custom QSC DIGITAL audio system is tuned to a 7.1 speaker array with 8 discrete channels and the ability to upgrade to 11.1, a revolution in surround sound technology with DIGITAL audio processing supported by quad-amplified, 4-way speakers and six 21-inch subwoofers.
Carmike Cinemas has 240 locations across the United States, and it focuses on small to mid-sized communities with populations less than 100,000.
When it opens, the new theater will compete with seven other theaters within about 15 miles of its location, including the Carmike Coventry 8 just three miles down the road.
Source: Carmike Cinemas Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.