Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Boulder, CO: Boulder Art Cinema Ends After Poor Attendance [7/30]
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts Palo Alto Square to Close in August 2016 [7/25]
- Variety: "The Divergent Series: Allegiant" to Skip Theaters, Launch as a TV Movie and Spinoff Series [7/21]
- Falmouth, ME: Flagship Premium Cinemas Now Open [7/20]
- AMC Theatres to Acquire Odeon & UCI Cinemas Group, the Largest Theater Chain in Europe [7/13]
- Westbrook, ME: Prides Corner Drive-In Not Yet Open for 2016, Future is Uncertain [7/13]
- New Bedford, MA: Flagship Cinemas - New Bedford Closed [7/10]
- Menomonee Falls, WI: Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas Getting Take Five and Zaffiro's [6/30]
Regal Entertainment Group and 3D equipment supplier RealD have come to an agreement that will double the number of 3D installations in Regal locations, according to a press release issued by RealD on January 27, 2011. There is no timeframe mentioned, but this agreement will bring to 3,000 the number of screens capable of making people wear funny glasses to watch movies.
“We continue to see high demand from moviegoers for RealD’s premium 3D viewing experience and to meet that demand Regal expects to 3D-enable approximately 40% of its screens as part of its ongoing nationwide digital rollout,” said Amy Miles, CEO of Regal Entertainment Group. “Doubling our agreement for RealD 3D-enabled screens will allow us to play multiple 3D films at the same time and assure moviegoers the option of seeing films in a premium 3D format.”
“Regal is the largest theatre circuit in the United States and their expanding up to 3,000 RealD 3D-enabled screens shows an unwavering commitment to 3D and an acknowledgement of the premium entertainment experience RealD delivers,” said Michael V. Lewis, Chairman and CEO of RealD Inc. “Demand for 3D continues to rise with Hollywood releasing 22 3D films in 2010 and approximately 35 3D films currently slated for release in 2011.”
Is this new agreement a sign of a strong 3D future, or is it just a matter of capitalizing on the current popularity? Time will tell, but this announcement is good news for those that want to see their movies in three dimensions.
RealD is one of the leading companies in the 3D industry. According to the press release, they have their equipment installed in 9,300 auditoriums worldwide as of September 2010. Regal Entertainment Group is the largest movie theater chain in the United States, with 6,698 screens in 539 locations in 37 states and the District of Columbia under the brands of Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres.
Source: RealD Press Release. Thanks to reader Ron H. for sending us this news!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.