Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Sacramento, CA: Century Arden 14 and XD Opens on Site of Former Century Stadium 14 [12/1]
- West Dundee, IL: Cinemark Spring Hill Mall and XD to Open December 15, 2016 [11/30]
- Chandler, AZ: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Chandler Opens December 2, 2016 [11/30]
- Oak Creek, WI: Marcus Value Cinema - Oak Creek Being Sold to Church [11/30]
- Warren, MI: Cinemark Warren 16 Closed and Will Become an MJR Theatres Location in 2017 [11/28]
- Daytona Beach, FL: Cobb Daytona Luxury 12 Coming in December [11/28]
- Streator, IL: Streator Eagle 6 to Open December 2, 2016 [11/28]
- Marcus Theatres to Acquire All Wehrenberg Theatres Locations [11/21]
- Grand Junction, CO: Movie Theater Opens in Former Carmike 7 Location [11/18]
- Flagstaff, AZ: Harkins Flagstaff 16 Opens, Harkins Flagstaff 11 Closes [11/18]
The Detroit Theatre in Lakewood, Ohio closed after its last movie on Sunday, January 30, 2011. The 2-screen theater had been showing movies since 1923, but according to an article in the Lakewood Patch, it couldn't keep up with the rising costs of doing business:
In recent years, the theater made its return to showing first-run films.
But according to an online interview with [theater owner Norman] Barr, the theater has struggled to remain profitable with rising prices from the film industry. The theater has survived mostly on the sales of concessions.
According to a report in the Parma Sun Post, the theater was for sale at $695,000. Barr, who also owns the Parma Theater, said in July he was ready to retire.
Fortunately for moviegoers in the Cleveland suburb, there are some choices for seeing movies. There are three theaters within five miles, including the Capitol Theatre, which is a historic theater that recently underwent a $7 million renovation, so those looking for a movie theater with some character should probably head in that direction!
Related News Articles
- Lakewood's Detroit Theatre closing: Sunday last chance to catch a film at 87-year old movie house -- The Plain Dealer, 1/25/2011
- Detroit Theatre in Lakewood closing doors for good Monday -- WEWS-TV Channel 5, 1/29/2011
- Lakewood Detroit Theatre closing; owner is trying to sell -- Sun News, 1/21/2011
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.